Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find Convection coefficient given a desired temperature?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
schererj
347 Views, 1 Reply

Find Convection coefficient given a desired temperature?

Hey guys, so I have an assembly I'm exproting from inventor to simulation 2015, given the fact that these parts produce X or Y W/(mm^3) of heat, I want simulation mechanical to tell me how fast I need to blow air accross them to keep a SS temperature of 40C. How do?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: schererj

Hi schererj,

In general, you can use Sim Mechanical to check if a certain convection coefficient is suitable to maintain the surface temperature. From that, you can back-calculate what air speed is necessary to create that convection coefficient.

You can begin by doing a hand calculation to estimate the convection coefficient that is needed since you know all of the terms in the equation Q = h*A*delta T except for the convection coefficient h:

• Q = X or Y W/mm^3 * volume of part
  • A = surface area where you are blowing the air over the part
  • delta T = ambient air temperature - 40 C.

Then perform the heat transfer simulation with that calculated convection coefficient. The calculated surface temperature will probably be off from 40C because of the 3D conduction that the simple hand calculation does not take into account. Based on the simulation results, adjust the convection coefficient and re-run the analysis.

Once you have the convection coefficient that you need, you can use the Film - Convection Coefficient Calculator in the software or an emperical or theoretical equation to calculate what velocity is needed to get the required convection coefficient.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report