Discussion Groups

Simulation Mechanical and Multiphysics

Active Contributor
nosborne
Accepted Solution

Fatigue Wizard Error Message

671 Views, 12 Replies
02-23-2012 05:17 PM

I am trying to run the fatigue wizard with an SN based scenario with a small solid element model. I get the error message shown each time as soon as I start the fatigue analysis.Fatigue Error.JPGAny ideas anyone ?

Please use plain text.
Employee
S.LI

Re: Fatigue Wizard Error Message

02-24-2012 04:57 AM in reply to: nosborne

This is a very common error report, which looks like something wrong in code.

What is the base of your Fatigue analysis, Linear Static, Nonlinear Static, or MES?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
nosborne

02-24-2012 07:17 AM in reply to: S.LI

I am using the results from a linear static analysis.

Please use plain text.
DSchS

02-24-2012 09:55 AM in reply to: nosborne

I have the same problem.

LE analysis with 303 parts. It seems to be a problem regarding the model size (number of parts).

Someone can confirm this?

Please use plain text.
DSchS

02-24-2012 11:58 AM in reply to: nosborne

Sorry, it is almost the same...

Run-time error '9':

Subscript out of range

Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
nosborne

02-27-2012 12:07 PM in reply to: DSchS

Solved the issue by doing a repair of SImulation files through Control Panel.

Please use plain text.
DSchS

03-13-2012 07:25 AM in reply to: nosborne

Sorry, but I thing I do not understand the solution procedure. Do you mean I need to repair the Simulation instalation in the windows control panel?

Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
nosborne

03-15-2012 07:43 AM in reply to: DSchS

Yes - go to Windows "control panel" and then to "Programs and Features". Right click on "Autodesk Simulation ..." and then choose the "Repair or Reinstall" option and then select "repair".

As a side note I have received the same error shown (run-time error 6) on a model that consisted of Tetrahedral elements only. When I changed the model to Bricks it ran fine with fatigue.I will send this issue into Autodesk to learn more.

Please use plain text.
Employee
PipePakPat

05-30-2012 08:28 AM in reply to: nosborne

The error message: "Run Time Error '6': overflow" indicates that the model contains either more elements or more nodes than be considered at one time by the Fatigue Wizard.  Unfortunately, the Fatigue Wizard does not share the same size capabilities as does the Autodesk Simulation interface.  For this reason, it is possible to create finite element models that exceed the limitations of the Fatigue Wizard.  You may experience an increased capacity if using Autodesk Simulation Mechanical/Multiphysics 2013 (compared to previous versions) when run on 64-bit computers having 4 GB RAM or more, but this does not guarantee this error can be avoided.

To work around these size limitations, I have developed utilities to isolate portions of the whole model, so that the small portion of the larger assembly can be analyzed in the Fatigue Wizard.  One would identify the "area of interest" in the larger stress model, then create a new model having only that portion of the total model's geometry.  It would then be possible to use a utility as a part of the 2013 software release to interpolate deflection results from the original model to the "sub-model", then run the stress processor on those deflections.  This new "sub-model" can then be analyzed using the Fatigue Wizard.  This method, however, is cumbersome, since it requires an additional model, additional steps and running commands from the DOS prompt.

The alternative to this method would be to re-created the model using larger elements in the whole of the model, such that the mesh is only refined in the "area of interest".  As long as the resulting model has 250,000 nodes or less, then it can be analyzed using the Fatigue Wizard.

Feel free to let me know if you have further questions.  If you choose, you may also submit your request to technical support through the Autodesk Subscription Center <subscription.autodesk.com/>.

Pat Tessaro, P.E.
Customer Support Engineer

Autodesk, Inc.
285 Kappa Drive
Suite 250
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
Please use plain text.
TommyBreaux2629

05-13-2013 04:56 PM in reply to: PipePakPat

Pat,

Please use plain text.