Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7
hamed.t
551 Views, 6 Replies

FSI Modeling

Hi,

In real world example, in some case we know that the effect of dynamic pressure in structures (due to pressure & velocity) is much more than the static pressure. 

for example: wind tunnel

for this problem, is autodesk simulation mechanical has a solution?

Best regards

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: hamed.t

hamed.t

I suggest that you check the Simulation Mechanical documentation to see if the software supports reading the pressure or reaction forces from Simulation CFD. If it does, you would perform the fluid analysis in Simulation CFD, and then use those results as a load in Simulation Mechanical.

Message 3 of 7
nhahn
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

What John recommends is very much possible with the combination of SimCFD and Sim Mechanical.  As of v2015, pressure & temperature mapping directly to solids in FEA is built-in with no add-ins required. This is only one-way though - you cannot then export the deformed geometry, and recalculate the pressures, and so on.  So things like flutter analysis are not possible with this software - a true multiphyisics package is needed.

On the other hand, if it is a simple matter of needing to include the dynamic pressure effects in addition to static (measured) pressure, you can determine the static equivalent pressure using P=1/2*rho*U^2, where rho is the density of the fluid and U is the free-stream velocity, and apply that pressure directly in Sim Mechanical.

Hope this helps.  Not sure of your actual application.

Message 4 of 7
hamed.t
in reply to: nhahn

Thank you, John & nhahn
So what the point of structural analysis in some case like wind tunnel with Sim Mechanical?
we know that the effect of force ( in displacement and ...) due to velocity much more than than the pressure. Am I right?
you think I have to use other software?
and what is your suggestion?
best regards

Message 5 of 7
nhahn

The point is - it depends on your application.  Many things can be done with Sim Mechanical alone.  Some require Sim CFD.  Some require other packages.

Can you tell us what you are trying to simulate? Is it a wing? A building? Something else? Is your structure rigid or flexible under the wind tunnel loads?  Are you trying to get static forces or dynamic (time-varying) behavior?

Message 6 of 7
hamed.t
in reply to: nhahn

Hi dear nhahn,
My simulayion has no relevance to time varing pressure.
its sbout dynamic pressure -From the perspective of hydraulic structures- (velocity effect is1ro*V^2/2)
Simulation Info:
-Free surface
-fluid with 20m/s velocity impact in solid block
best regards

Message 7 of 7
nhahn

I'm not sure I understand your scenario completely, but if you can can calcuulate the sum of static and dynamic pressures, and apply that to the surface in Sim Mechanical then that is probly the quickest and most conservative solution.

If you need to do a fluid flow simulation to figure out the pressure distribution, then use Simulation CFD (or some other software) and map those pressures to the nodes in Sim Mechanical. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report