Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error opening units information

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
AdamietzIPA
1717 Views, 18 Replies

Error opening units information

Hello everybody,

i encountered a problem when I am either opening a model or creating a new one:

The "UnitsUtility" pops up and says: "Error opening units information in C:\Programme\Autodesk\Algor Simulation 2011\AlgorDb.mds for GetAgsdbUnits"

Did anyone encounter the same problem? What can I do to solve it?

Thanks in advance,

Raphael

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
AdamietzIPA
in reply to: AdamietzIPA

Does nobody have an answer? 😞

Message 3 of 19
S.LI

Here is the way to reset the default modeling units.

I'm not sure if it could fix your problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 4 of 19

I am suffering this exact same error under the same conditions described in the original post.

Changing the default units can be done, but it has no effect - the error still occurs.

Uninstalling and reinstalling did not fix the problem either.

Has anyone experienced this error in the time between now and the original post? Does anyone have a solution?

I suspect it involves MS Access, but I can't prove it.

Message 5 of 19
SaMurgie
in reply to: james.rossillon

MS Access could be involved as we do use an Access database.  But I am not sue why it would be involved here...

A couple of questions:

Are there any non-English characters in the installation path?

What operating system including patch are you running?

32- or 64-bit OS?

Do you also have Adsk Sim 2012 installed?

Message 6 of 19

I am running:

Microsoft Windows XP

Professional x64 Edition

Version 2003

Service Pack 2

The Algor version is:

Autodesk Algor Simulation MES 2011 SP1

Build 2011.00.01.0033 30-JUL-2010

the full path to the .mdb file is:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Algor Simulation 2011\Algordb.mdb

The full error text is:

Error opening Units Information in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Algor Simulation 2011\AlgorDb.mdb for GetAgsdbUnits

The error occurs

I also have Inventor 2009 and AutoCAD 2011 installed

I know that the problem is some conflict on my computer, because the error does not occur on nearly identical computers used by my colleagues. At the very least I was hoping that someone could point me in the general direction of what the conflict might be.

I only mentioned Access because another piece of software had generated an error due to a problem with how Access 2007 handles pre-2007 Access database files.  Based on the fact that my colleagues are able to run Algor without this error, I no longer think Access is to blame.

Message 7 of 19
SaMurgie

Thanx for the info.

Access could still be the blame.  We are using a very old version of FoxPro (read: Access).

One thing to try is to run regall.bat from the installation directory and immediately trying to run ASIM 2011.  This won't necessary "fix" anything but will give us more information.  Even if it works after the regall, it may not work later after you run some other application.

Message 8 of 19

Just to be clear, I need to double click the RegAll.bat file and then while the command prompt window is open (but before anything is really happening in the command window) I need to run ASIM 2001 (aka AlgFrame.exe)?

I did this and tried to create a new FEM file, but still got the error. The RegAll.bat window didn't actually show anything, it just stays open for 20-30 seconds with the two lines:

Registering all DLLs, CLLs, and OCXs in

C:\Program files\Autodesk\Algor Simulation 2001

Then for a [i]very[/i] brief moment another line appears before the window closes:

Exe COM Servers being called with /RegServer command line switch

I didn't see any error codes thrown up in the command window.

Message 9 of 19
SaMurgie

Hi James

That is mostly correct.  But it sounds like you started ASIM before regall.bat finished.  You should wait for it to finish before running ASIM.

Note regall.bat can take a bit of time.

Sam

Message 10 of 19

Running RegAll.bat has no affect, the error still occurs.

Message 11 of 19

Here are a few things to check.

1. Check the Security permissions for the file Algordb.mdb.

1.a Use My Computer (Windows Explorer) to view the installation folder, usually something like C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk Simulation 2012

1.b Locate the file Algordb.mdb.

1.c Right-click on the file and choose "Properties".

1.d Look at the "Security Tab". On one of my computers (Win 7), these items are checked: Modify, Read & execute, Read, Write. On another computer (Win XP), these items are checked: Full Control, Modify, Read & Execute, Read, Write.

1.e If you do not have these permissions, talk with your administrator to get them.

2. Check your MDAC software.

2.a MDAC stands for Microsoft Data Access Components

2.b Some customers have used the tools on the following website to repair their MDAC: http://www.macropool.com/en/download/mdac.html Disclaimer: the website is not related to Autodesk, Inc.

2.c Of course, speak with your system administrator before downloading and using any such tools.

Let us know if either of these help.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 12 of 19

I was finally able to have the IT personnel take a look at the MDAC software on my computer, and they claim that I have the latest version(s) available. I have also checked the permissions on the .mdb file and they are set correctly.

The error still occurs.

One extra bit that might be helpful...

I noticed that when a person opens ASIM for the first time (after being installed on a machine that did not previously have the software) there is a dialog box that pops up concerning the default units not being set, which leads to the 'set default units' screen.

However, after uninstalling the software and then reinstalling it, that dialog box will not appear. This leads me to believe that there is some registry setting that persists even after a full uninstall, and perhaps that is somehow involved in the error I am getting.

That's just a shot in the dark though.

Message 13 of 19
SaMurgie

by any chance did you have FY12 beta installed at any point on this computer?

Message 14 of 19

No, I did not have any beta version (or any other version) prior to installing ASIM 2011.

I did, however, have a problem during install - ASIM 2011 installed fully, but I ran out of disk space during the install of service pack 1.

I ended the install and it rolled back to plain ASIM 2011. I then cleared 20 gb of disk space and reinstalled SP 1. This is when the error first occured.

I tried repairing the install, then I tried uninstalling then reinstalling the whole thing (ASIM 2011 + SP 1). The error continued to occur each time.

Message 15 of 19
SaMurgie

Can you please post the properties of AlgorDB.mdb?  I'll double check those against what is expected.  Thanx.

Message 16 of 19

Type of file:  MDB File

Opens with: Unkown application  [I uninstalled Access 2007 to see if that affected the error - it didn't]

Size:  8.14 MB (8,540,160 bytes)

Size on disk:  8.14 MB (8,540,160 bytes)

Created:  Thursday, July 29, 2010, 11:00:00 PM

Modified:  Thursday, July 29, 2010, 11:00:00 PM

Accessed:  Today, June 23, 2011, 1:36:27 PM

Attributes: [no checkboxes checked]

Advanced:

File is ready for archiving [checked]

For fast searching, allow Indexing Service to index this file [checked]

Compress contents to save disk space [unchecked]

Encrypt contents to secure data [unchecked]

Security:

Permissions for [Administrators, Power Users, SYSTEM, and Users]

Full control [Allow - checked]

Modify [Allow - checked]

Read & Execute [Allow - checked]

Read [Allow - checked]

Write [Allow - checked]

Summary:

[nothing filled in - all boxes blank]

Message 17 of 19
SaMurgie

Everything appears to be as expected.

Have you run the MDAC utility as John suggested earlier?

Message 18 of 19

The IT staff looked at my computer, and ran a utility from Microsoft that was suposed to repair or install MDAC, but that utility reported that the version of the MDAC software on my computer was a 'later version' than what the utility recognized.

I do not think they used the software that was linked from AstroJohn's post. If that 3rd party software does more than the Microsoft utility, I may give that a try.

I don't see how that could be the problem, though, given that the program runs on everyone else's computers here, and they all have the same windows install as I do (including the MDAC software).

Message 19 of 19
pmateo7JFXB

Best way

Program files → Autodesk → Autodesk simulation → on search Tab → type .mdb to find → Algordb.mdb →

after the search that data delete it,   

Untitled.jpg

Option 1 

you need to install simulation to another computer if you have laptop or desktop

after the installation done to another computer copy the (Algordb.mdb) in your main computer same location on Program files → Autodesk → Autodesk simulation paste, then uninstall simulation in the main computer and reinstall again.

OR

Option 2 

copy the attached file Algordb.mdb and paste in your computer same location Program files → Autodesk → Autodesk simulation paste, then uninstall simulation in the main computer and reinstall again.

BOOM........

Mateo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report