Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a pin contact with shell elements

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jmcternan
607 Views, 3 Replies

Creating a pin contact with shell elements

I am looking for some advice on creating pin elements with a shell model.  I have been using truss elements for the pin, but with a shell model the truss elements rotate around all axis.  I have not been able to get my model to converge and I believe this is the problem.  The model converges when I change the truss elements to beam, but when I do that I no longer have free rotation of the pin.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: jmcternan

Hi there,

Can you attach an image, either of the model itself or a hand drawn sketch? I think that will describe the arrangement of the shells and elements used for the pin, what motions are required, and so on.

I presume you are using MES, correct?

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
jmcternan
in reply to: John_Holtz

The grey section is the plate/shell model.  The blue webbing in the hole is the truss elements used to simulate the pin.  The green line from the pin's center is a beam element.  The idea is to allow the pin to rotate freely as load is applied to the beam.

Capture.JPG

Message 4 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: jmcternan

It is hard to see the green beam on my system because the inserted image was scaled down, but I think that is secondary to the issue. More importantly, is there a constraint at the intersection of the trusses?

I know your pin is not 0 units long in reality, so I suggest that your spider web of trusses needs to extend out to the ends of the pin. See the attached image.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report