Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convergence issue with elastic-plastic material... help needed!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
roypersa
569 Views, 3 Replies

Convergence issue with elastic-plastic material... help needed!

Dear all,

I've been struggling with a von Mises nonlinear 2D axisymmetric problem for a while.

Geometry resembles a simple closed cylindrical shape. Apart from symmetry at two edges (one quarter model), the unique load is pressure. I've played around with almost every analysis parameter of the Advanced tab including increasing the displacement tolerance to 0.001. Since it's a quasi-static problem, I'm using static with nonlinear material instead of MES. Newton-Raphson 1 without line search has so far given thecloser to the end result but yet unconverged.

Are there any guidelines you can share about convergence enhancement?. By the way, model seems to be correctly set-up since using a linear material model it converges quite easy. The pressure load utilized responds to that physically utilized in the test.

Kind regards,

Roger

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
zhuangs
in reply to: roypersa

You might share the model for us to have a look.

Shoubing

Message 3 of 4
pbuscemi46

itself  Without seeing the model and its parameters its difficult to offer suggestions. but...

1) Try some smaller mesh sizes,  2 )  check to see that strains are small so that non-linear static really applies, 3) don't fret using MES. it's all that I use   Decreasing the tolerance may be a factor and suggests- if it helped at all , that MES is the better approach

Message 4 of 4
zhuangs

How many parts are there in the model? Is there surface contact used?  If there is surface contact, w/o line search might has trouble for convergence.

Is "Vos Mises with Isotropic/Kinematic Hardening" or "Vos Mises Curve with Isotropic/Kinematic Hardening" used? For both of them, finer mesh with good mesh quality is needed for better convergence and solution.

-Shoubing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report