Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact with 2D Models

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
nosborne
600 Views, 1 Reply

Contact with 2D Models

Can contact be modelled in Simulation between 2D edges on a 2D model? I have some gears that could be modelled with 2D elements but I don't know how to define the contact easily. If necessary I will use a 3D brick element model with a unit depth to generate contact surfaces. The attached image shows the contact interface (this is a crude gear model) that I want to model. If anybody has experience with this (good or bad) I would be happy to hear about it.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: nosborne

Hello,

Contact on 2D elements is setup in the same manner as with brick elements. Use surface selection to pick the surfaces that will contact, right-click > Contact > Surface. (I presume you are using MES to account for the motion.)

Think of the model as if the 2D elements were extruded (in the X direction). When the edge of the 2D mesh is on different surface number than the rest of the mesh, the "extruded" surface number creates a face which can contact another object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report