Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraint Question

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
337 Views, 5 Replies

Constraint Question

So I had a question about constraining a specific area of a surface.  Say for instance, you have a beam and you want to constrain both ends of the bottom surface.  Is there a faster and more efficient way of selecting the bottom surface nodes to constrain instead of selecting them one by one? 

I pretty much want to constrain one part of the bottom surface from moving at all while having a displacement constraint on the rest of the piece. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Sualp.Ozel
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have a CAD solid model and you wish to add a load/constraint to a small patch of a single large surface you have at least 2 options.

1) Split the large surface in to smaller sub surfaces using a CAD package. Inventor Fusion (which is included with Autodesk Simulation Mechanical is a good tool for this)

2) use the "rectangle" select tool to select all the "vertices" you wish to constrain, and then add the boundary condition.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Sualp.Ozel

The only problem with the rectangular select tool is that it selects that entire plane that the node is on and I only want to constrain the bottom surface of the piece.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

good way is to change what ever yuou want in cad.

Message 5 of 6
Sualp.Ozel

If you are still struggling with this issue please feel free to attach an image of the area of interest (or your simulation Archive file), so I can give you more specific directions.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

You can do it by creating two splits on the bottom surface in Inventor before importing it so simulation, and adding a surface constraint within simulation.

This video shows how to add a split using inventor fusion, which is basically the same in inventor.

http://engineeringexploration.autodesk.com/content/module-2-editing-non-native-imported-geometry

Hope this helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report