Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant create Fluid Volume (internal fluid command)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bmeraz02
935 Views, 3 Replies

Cant create Fluid Volume (internal fluid command)

I am trying to understand how to use the generate internal fluid command in Autodesk Multiphysics 2012.  I have a large cylindrical plenum with two openings(circle) at the top and one at the bottom/side of the tank (rectangular). I am at a complete loss as to how to define an air volume to prescribe flow conditions too... I assume that I have to generate a internal fluid solid (air).

Attached is an image of the geometry. If anyone can assist me on how to generate a internal fluid solid (or guide me as to how to prescribe fluid conditions wihtout  a internal solid) please do so. It would be greatly appreciated

-Baudelio

**Using student edition

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: bmeraz02

Hi Baudelio,

Multiphysics cannot handle your geometry to create an internal fluid. Sorry Smiley Sad The limitation is that the surfaces that would cap off the internal volume need to be flat. The rectangular slot on the curved surface is the problem.

What you could do is add a section of rectangular duct at the inlet/outlet. Then you would be able to generate the surface. Please see the Help documentation "Help > Autodesk Simulation > Mesh Models > Mesh Overview > Meshing CAD Solid Models > Fluid Generation".

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
bmeraz02
in reply to: John_Holtz

John,

Thanks for the help! 

I want to make sure I understand. Yo are saying the issue is the flat slot on a curved surface?

You are requesting I add "ductwork" to the inlets and outlets. is this ductwork a independent piece (therefore forming as asembly) or is it just another surface on a single part.

This ductwor should be  flush\extruding\expaing into the surfave of the tank.. .Also would the ductwork and outlet need to have the  circulatr and curbved surfaces?

Message 4 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: bmeraz02

See my replies in blue. John Holtz

bmeraz02 wrote:

John,

Thanks for the help! 

I want to make sure I understand. Yo are saying the issue is the flat slot on a curved surface? Yes, the issue is the slot on the curved surface.

You are requesting I add "ductwork" to the inlets and outlets. is this ductwork a independent piece (therefore forming as asembly) or is it just another surface on a single part. It does not matter whether it is a new part or the same part.

This ductwor should be  flush\extruding\expaing into the surfave of the tank.. .Also would the ductwork and outlet need to have the  circulatr and curbved surfaces? See the attached image. Does it answer this question?

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report