Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD on a object

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4476 Views, 5 Replies

CFD on a object

Hi i was wondering if i could do wind tunnel analysis on an object such as an airplane or a car and collect data on surface pressure and more importently if i could get a value for the coeffcient of drag for said object. The question is if i could get results similar to this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER8qjvdHEyQ&feature=related

Thank you in advance,

Sadben khan

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Joey.X
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, you can. This is a typical external flow case in fluid flow, which needs modeling an enclosure(usually a box) to include the airplane/car inside, remember to model air part in CFD analysis and leave enough distance to allow the flow stabilized at outlet. A common practice is to have fix velocity at inlet and zero pressure at outlet, which is pretty much like the process as real wind tunnel test. 

In Autodesk Multi-physics simulation, you can get the velocity and pressure distribution in the air domain, and the reaction force due to aerodynamic effect, the reaction forces are located on the surface nodes on the airplane, using the summation in post-process to get total lift and drag force, and then one can calculate the lift/drag coefficient at certain attack angle (in airplane case). 

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Alright thank you verymuch, and quick question, is there possibly a tutorial on this because im not that familar with simulation software yet as im still a student and it is very overwhelming for me :S.

-Sadben

Message 4 of 6
Joey.X

Hi, Sadben,

It seems to me that there are no direct tutorials for this kind of external flow. 

Please have a look of this previous thread " Re: CFD for Air Flow Modeling", On the bottom of this thread, I have uploaded two archived files as examples. They are 2-D models for flow through submarine with certain attack angle. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Simulation/CFD-for-Air-Flow-Modeling/td-p/2674365

And the link to the archive file is here

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/396/1256/1/2300_2Dsubm_10deg_st.zip

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 5 of 6
John_Holtz

Sadben,

Please go to "Getting Started > Help > Tutorials". Although the "Ball Valve Fluid Flow Analysis" is an internal flow instead of an external flow, it will at least get you started.

For external fluid flow, please go through this example in the Help documentation: "Getting Started > Help > In-Product Help > Autodesk Simulation > Examples > Fluid Flow > 2D Cylinder with Wake Vortex".

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

hi, id like to do an interanl fluid flow, througha  pipe with a turbine blade constrained within, are there any tutorials that can help with this, the ball valve tutorial doesnt have any inners.

thanks

ryan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report