Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD geometry & beam elements

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
drpalo
594 Views, 6 Replies

CAD geometry & beam elements

After spending a day attaching beam elements to CAD geometry, I'm told I need to make changes to the model in Inventor. I make my changes, go to add-ins & mesh it to update the geometry in Algor. Now all my beam elements are gone. Are beam elements similar to nodel forces where changing the geometry means losing everything? If so, is there a way to permanently attach beam elements to CAD geometry while allowing model changes?

Thanks.

Autodesk Product Design Suite 2016
Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
S.LI
in reply to: drpalo

I think this is hard, if beam elements are added on nodes that only exist in FEA model. In CAD model, you only have edge, surface etc. Everytime, when you switch from CAD to FEA, you will be asked to remesh your model. The previous nodes will be removed and have new nodes/meshes created. ... Maybe other people have good idea to do this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 7
drpalo
in reply to: S.LI

It looks like if you place a construction vertices at each end of a beam element, it stays when the mesh is updated/changed. Is this a safe practice?

Thanks.

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 4 of 7
S.LI

Personally, I don't think this is a safe way.

But it might work for some cases.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 5 of 7
John_Holtz

Dr.,

Assuming the beam elements were drawn on a different part number, one not corresponding to any CAD part, then the beams should have remained after reimporting the CAD model. If not, please answer these:

• what analysis type?
  • were any constraints added to the model? If so, what type?
  • was any type of surface or edge contact created between parts?

The construction vertices at the ends of the beam elements should guarantee that a node is generated on the CAD parts at each beam. That is one of the intended functions of the construction vertices.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 6 of 7
drpalo
in reply to: John_Holtz

Yes, beam elements are a different part number than the CAD part. Static stress analysis with linear material model. Was also planning to run MES though. It is a single part with fixed constraints, no contacts. Are you saying the beam elements should automatically create construction vertices when attached to a CAD part? Or was manually adding the construction vertices the correct thing to do?

Thanks.

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 7 of 7
bjorn_fallqvist

I would suggest the following approach

1. Create the beam elements as you want them. (Rotate, move, copy lines etc.)

2. Select the nodes of the lines (select -> subentities -> vertices)

3. Right-click and choose "create construction vertices".

The vertices created away from the CAD model doesn't matter, they will just lie there without influencing the mesh. I have used this method for e.g. creating large number of bolts without having to make sure that the lines snap to nodes after rotating them.

Of course, you have to re-mesh after doing it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report