Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buckling on connecting rod

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ansufw
1917 Views, 3 Replies

Buckling on connecting rod

I want to analysis buckling on Conrod, but I have several problems such as

1. how to apply bearing loads in both holes Conrod (small end & big end) with variation loads/cyclic loads from 720 degree (in a 4 stroke motor cycle) in certain rpm
2. how to determine the BLF (buckling load factor) or load multiplier

Thanks in advance for your solution,>

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
S.LI
in reply to: ansufw

In ASIM 2013 beta, there is an easy way to apply bearing loads.

Maybe you can have a try.

About the rotation, maybe, you can apply it as centrifugal loads.

I guess this is doable (applying both bearing and centrifugal loads) in one buckling analysis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 4
ansufw
in reply to: S.LI

how can I try to use ASIM 2013 Beta?
thanks you 

Message 4 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: ansufw

Hello,

You are welcome to join the beta testers and download the beta from https://beta.autodesk.com/home.html, but I would not use it to do important production work, especially something as "trivial" as bearing loads. There are other ways to approximate the bearing load. If you know the formula for the load distribution, you can apply it with the current software by using the "Setup > Loads > Variable Pressure" command. Or depending on how important the ovaling of the holes are, just use a "Mesh > CAD Additions > Joint" to fill each hole and apply the load to the center of the joint. Perhaps someone else on the group will have other ideas, too.

I think the first question to ask is how important is the dynamic motion of the rod to buckling. Does it buckle at a smaller or larger load when rotating at N rpm compared to when it is stationary?  If stationary is acceptable, then using "Linear > Critical Buckling Load" is the only analysis you need to perform.

If the dynamic motion is important, then I would suggest setting up an analysis such as the Piston Mechanical Event Simulation tutorial. That will show how to rotate the crank shaft. Then you can use the "results based loads" like described on the page "Help > Autodesk Simulation > Setting Up and Performing the Analysis > Setting Up Part 2 > Nonlinear Analyses > Analyses Parameters >
Define Load Curves". And lucky you, there is already a written example of using the results based loads for a crank shaft analysis. Smiley Happy

The MES analysis will not provide the buckling multiplier, unless you run multiple analyses with increased loads until you make the rod buckle or yield. But I would think that you can compare the calculated stress with the stress from the "Linear > Critical Buckling Load" analysis, and then calculate what multiplier for the MES analysis would give the stresses shown in the Critical Buckling Load.

Does this make sense? I am not an engine designer, so use your experience and that of others on this group to "do it correctly".

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums