Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brick Solid Meshing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
618 Views, 3 Replies

Brick Solid Meshing

Hello,

First off, I am trying to teach myself FEA, so please excuse my ignorance.

I am trying to solid mesh a model with brick elements, and I have been stuck on one part for approximately 2 hours. it is a piece of u channel that is about 8 inches long, with no complex geometry.  I am running an i7 processor and 8 gb RAM.  Is this a normal amount of time for such a small part?

I am ultimately trying to run a frequency response simulation.  Are there specific settings I should apply for the brick meshing?

Thanks in advance for the help

Mike

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
bannecke
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mike,

did you import the geometry from a CAD program?

May you should check, if the geometry does not have discrete parts, or parts with excessive small radius.

If you use brick elements und you want several layers in the thickness of the profile, this will bring an excessive amount of parts for thin walled profiles, here you should go for a midplane discretization.

Regards

Boris

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: bannecke

hi boris,

I imported the geometry from autocad inventor, and I dont think there are any excessivly small radii.

A few of the parts are about 1/16" thick, is this an appropriate time to use the midplane mesh?

Thanks for the help

Mike

Message 4 of 4
bannecke
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I think the ratio is ok for both meshing tyapes..

May you look here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Autodesk_Simulation/enu/2012/Help/0113-Mesh_Mod113/0114-Mesh_Ove114/011...

You could try the setting Bricks and wedges (layered mesh of thin parts): if you prefer the solid mesh in favour of the midplane mesh.

Cheerio 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report