Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boundary Conditions / Constraints ?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
timsefton
512 Views, 3 Replies

Boundary Conditions / Constraints ?

Okay, I'm somewhat confused on the boundry conditions requirements for even the simplest of fluid flow analysis,

Lets say I've got the following model -  One input of compressed air and two open ends of the pipe its going into.  Like this.

diang.png

So from what I can make out i'd do the following constraints:

1)  Inlet / Outlet at the Open Start end of the pipe and exclude surface from boundry conditions.

2)  Inlet / Outlet at the Open End of the pipe and exclude  surface from boundry conditions.

3)  Inlet / Outlet at the Air Input along with a perscribed flow of 129 in/sec in the correct direction (external fan just doesn't seem to work well at all)  and  exlude surface from boundry conditions 

Would that be a fair way to frame the constraints (and lets just say that is a steady state condition with a low reynolds number for simplicity)?

Your thoughts ?

Tim

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: timsefton

Hi Tim,

You description is very close. I think you meant "exclude surface from boundary layer mesh" instead of "exclude surface from boundary conditions". Also, only the prescribed velocity (flow) is required in step 3; the inlet/outlet load is not needed.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
timsefton
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John,

Yes, I did mean the exclude surface from boundry layer mesh (does this matter if its is checked prior to meshing or after meshing ?)

Thanks for you help !

Tim

Message 4 of 4
Joey.X
in reply to: timsefton

Excluding surface from boundry layer mesh has to be applied before surface meshing (i.e, click meshing button). 

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report