Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Simulation

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
oldtobacco
1830 Views, 17 Replies

Autodesk Simulation

Autodesk simulation ran well for 2 weeks and now crashes during startup.  I get the splash screen and then an error message and the option to report the error to Autodesk.  I have repaired the installation, reinstalled the program using the reinstall option and neither helped.  I also tried to run Inventor 2012 and recieved the same error.  Has my license been revoked?

I am running Windows XP with all of the SP and updates installed.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
S.LI
in reply to: oldtobacco

Could you please share us the message you got?

thank..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 18
oldtobacco

I will try again tonight, but I see the load splash screen followed by the large error splash screen that says nothing more specific than an error has been detected and the program must shut down.  I am given the option of sending the error to autodesk.  I do not know what information is given specifically but can you look it up knowing my user name and license file / serial number?

Jeff

Message 4 of 18
oldtobacco

It says

Autodesk Simulation Error Report

A software problem has caused Autodesk Simulation to close unexpectedly

Error- Unhandled exception

110425172417.dmp

Message 5 of 18
SaMurgie

It doesn't sound like a licensing issue.  More likely there is some sort of conflict with other applications on your computer (although I am surprised that the re-install did not correct the issue at least until you re-install the other app...).

Have you installed anything recently? 

Have you changed anything hardware-wise?  ...repartitioned the disks?  ...move $TEMP?  ...changed user priveleges?

Message 6 of 18
oldtobacco

I am stumped. 

Tonight I removed Firefox and Norton antivirus restarted, reinstalled Simulation 2012 restarted, made sure nothing else was running and I get as far as the open screen before it gives me the error message.  It ran before and now nothing.  The machine currently has only 512MB RAM and I have ordered another 2GB could it be a memory issue?  My available memory is 375MB with everything off.  It ran like this before, but could it be the memory?

Message 7 of 18
S.LI

512M is little bit short to simulation software. Even 2G is still not that big for current simulation FEA packages.

I'm not sure what's your model size, but it could be very slow if there is no enough memory.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 18
S.LI

My testing result shows that:

1.) for Autodesk Simulation 2012, to start the UI (algframe.exe) need around 200M memory without opening any model.

2.) The memory size increases to more than 300M when only opening a model with around 10,000 elements.

3.) If you start a MES analysis for this model, another 150M memory is needed.

Message 9 of 18
SaMurgie

It could be memory in that Windows may be chewing up all of your remaining diskspace for Virtual Memory which may not leave any room in $TEMP or in other folders.

FWIW, I would expect issues on systems with only 512MB of memory.  As Shanhu noted, best case, it will run, but will be very, very slow.

Message 10 of 18
oldtobacco
in reply to: SaMurgie

Thank you for your assistance.  Until my memory arrives I am considering this an error driven by available memory.  If I have further questions I will post.

Thank you all, it was productive,

Jeff

Message 11 of 18
oldtobacco

My memory arrived, I installed it, I checked system info - 2.5GB check, and loaded simulation 2012 and I still recieve the same error message.  Before the program is loaded fully and before I can select a model to open I am told the program has encountered an error and is shutting down. 

Could there be a corrupt registry value?

During installation I entered the serial number and product key but my autodesk account still says the software is not activated, could this be an issue?

Let me know,

Jeff

Message 12 of 18
oldtobacco

Another interesting issue is that I cannot log into my account without changing the password and using the 'take me to the website' button. 

Is the amount of memory in the videocard a possible culprit?

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff Janert

Message 13 of 18
Joey.X

Try this trick to see if it works for you.

This might be related to registry mess up issue of Autodesk simulation Multiphysics v2012 installation, here is a trick that you can clean Windows registry for either 32 and 64 bit system.

(1) Download Msizap.exe from Microsoft website (free)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370523(v​=vs.85).aspx

(2) log in as ADM user with full power, and run either one of the command from DOS prompt
(64bit)  MsiZap.exe TW {9C323B87-596F-2012-B164-A8E126A75E02}
(32bit)  MsiZap.exe TW {9C323B87-596F-2012-B132-A8E126A75E02}

(3) Reinstall  Autodesk simulation Multiphysics v2012

BTW, if you have trouble to get MsiZap.exe, let me know.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 14 of 18
SaMurgie
in reply to: Joey.X

The graphics card could cause something like this.  Note you can turn off hardware acceleration which may help by going to

Tools->Application Options->Graphics->Hardware

and then clicking off the checkbox for  Enable OpenGl hardware acceleration

This could help.

What graphics card do you have and how much memory does it have?

Sam

Message 15 of 18
oldtobacco

I have solved the problem.  The issue is that the Quadro FX5200 video card was unsupported, I never thought this would be an issue since it is a CAD card, it is an old card but still...  I switched it with the card that preceeded it and everything runs fine now.  Thank you for all of your assistance.

Jeff

Message 16 of 18
Murilo.h.r

Can someone help me find, how do I insert a 10mm mesh boundary layer in unsteady fluid flow in Autodesk Simulation

Message 17 of 18
larb_10
in reply to: Joey.X

Hi Joey.X,

Is there a similar way I can remove any registary mess for Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013. I have had an issue with my installation. I have uninstalled as cleanly as possble but I am still not able to install it again. The installer is picking the program up as being already installed even though its not in the list of installed programs in Control Panel.

Sorry to drag this up in an old topic, but need to get it sorted out.

Message 18 of 18
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: larb_10

Hi larb_10,

I will contact my former co-workers at the Pittsburgh office. I encountered the same situation, and they have a procedure to fix it. If I remember correctly, it is a "simple" matter of searching the registry to find the QUID number for the version that needs to be uninstalled, and then deleting that QUID from the registry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report