Discussion Groups

Simulation Mechanical and Multiphysics

oldtobacco
Accepted Solution

Autodesk Simulation

1088 Views, 17 Replies
04-25-2011 08:52 AM

Autodesk simulation ran well for 2 weeks and now crashes during startup.  I get the splash screen and then an error message and the option to report the error to Autodesk.  I have repaired the installation, reinstalled the program using the reinstall option and neither helped.  I also tried to run Inventor 2012 and recieved the same error.  Has my license been revoked?

I am running Windows XP with all of the SP and updates installed.

Please use plain text.
Employee
S.LI

Re: Autodesk Simulation

04-25-2011 12:49 PM in reply to: oldtobacco

Could you please share us the message you got?

thank..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Please use plain text.
oldtobacco

04-25-2011 01:06 PM in reply to: oldtobacco

I will try again tonight, but I see the load splash screen followed by the large error splash screen that says nothing more specific than an error has been detected and the program must shut down.  I am given the option of sending the error to autodesk.  I do not know what information is given specifically but can you look it up knowing my user name and license file / serial number?

Jeff

Please use plain text.
oldtobacco

04-25-2011 07:53 PM in reply to: oldtobacco

It says

Autodesk Simulation Error Report

A software problem has caused Autodesk Simulation to close unexpectedly

Error- Unhandled exception

110425172417.dmp

Please use plain text.
Employee
SaMurgie

04-26-2011 02:49 PM in reply to: oldtobacco

It doesn't sound like a licensing issue.  More likely there is some sort of conflict with other applications on your computer (although I am surprised that the re-install did not correct the issue at least until you re-install the other app...).

Have you installed anything recently? 

Have you changed anything hardware-wise?  ...repartitioned the disks?  ...move $TEMP?  ...changed user priveleges?

Please use plain text.
oldtobacco

04-26-2011 09:44 PM in reply to: oldtobacco

I am stumped. 

Tonight I removed Firefox and Norton antivirus restarted, reinstalled Simulation 2012 restarted, made sure nothing else was running and I get as far as the open screen before it gives me the error message.  It ran before and now nothing.  The machine currently has only 512MB RAM and I have ordered another 2GB could it be a memory issue?  My available memory is 375MB with everything off.  It ran like this before, but could it be the memory?

Please use plain text.
Employee
S.LI

04-27-2011 04:15 AM in reply to: oldtobacco

512M is little bit short to simulation software. Even 2G is still not that big for current simulation FEA packages.

I'm not sure what's your model size, but it could be very slow if there is no enough memory.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Employee
S.LI

04-27-2011 04:28 AM in reply to: oldtobacco

My testing result shows that:

1.) for Autodesk Simulation 2012, to start the UI (algframe.exe) need around 200M memory without opening any model.

2.) The memory size increases to more than 300M when only opening a model with around 10,000 elements.

3.) If you start a MES analysis for this model, another 150M memory is needed.

Please use plain text.
Employee
SaMurgie

04-27-2011 07:21 AM in reply to: oldtobacco

It could be memory in that Windows may be chewing up all of your remaining diskspace for Virtual Memory which may not leave any room in $TEMP or in other folders.

FWIW, I would expect issues on systems with only 512MB of memory.  As Shanhu noted, best case, it will run, but will be very, very slow.

Please use plain text.
oldtobacco

04-27-2011 08:14 AM in reply to: SaMurgie

Thank you for your assistance.  Until my memory arrives I am considering this an error driven by available memory.  If I have further questions I will post.

Thank you all, it was productive,

Jeff

Please use plain text.