Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Algor freeze crash and burn !!!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Dan_Margulius
1408 Views, 15 Replies

Autodesk Algor freeze crash and burn !!!

I suggest  this new name to the beta team. Why the hell the program is freezing every time I change the heat flux and rerun the analysis...To get some stability I need to copy the DS and run the analysis and even then.... Am I  the only one with this problem?

R.

Dan

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Dan,

Let's start with the basics!!!!

"Have you installed SP1? "

I believe that i've the same file as you and have just changed the Heat Flux and reran. The solution ran smoothly without any problem!!!

Message 3 of 16

Hy Shakeel,

Of course i have sp1 installed. Dont take my remarks personally I am just venting here...:)

I had today 5 or 6 freezes(X2 computers) before I can run different solutions with differen heat fluxes.

This are the most enoying problems because they  cant be solved.

Many times i had this problem with the freezing and crashing,on the other hand I can say that CF Design is even worst in this matter at least Algor is more accurate.

R.

Dan 

Message 4 of 16
John_Holtz
in reply to: Dan_Margulius

Hi Dan,

I can understand your frustration. I have not encountered this problem, so it would be helpful if you can give a little more information about specifically when the software "freezes". For example,

• I am running this type of analysis
  • I add a surface heat flux (or nodal heat source? or part heat generation?)
  • I run the analysis
  • Do you close the Results window, or do you simply click the FEA Editor tab to activate that environment?
  • The dialog to modify the heat flux/source/generation appears or does not appear?
  • If it appears, can you change the input, and clicking the OK seems to work?
  • When you try to run the analysis, what happens? Does the Analysis Window appear?
  • Do you have dual or multiple monitors? (If a laptop, do you occasionally connect to an external monitor?)

I wonder if some dialog is appearing behind the main Simulation window. If it happens again (Smiley Mad), try pressing "Alt+Tab" to switch to another application, and then "Alt+Tab" again to return to Simulation. Maybe this will show a "hidden" dialog.

Also, let me know if the archive ("File > Archive > Create") is posted to another thread or can be posted to this thread.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 5 of 16
Dan_Margulius
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hello John,

Right now it is happening while running transient heat transfer, sometimes it happens when I am running MES analysis.

I add the heatflux and run the analysis, everything is fine and I see results. Now I click the FEA Editor and cahnge the heat flux and the program is thinking and thinking at the end it goes to not responding. Sometime I have waited 30 min to see what happens.

The analysis window is not appearing and there are now other Algor windows open. I have attached a screenshot with the Algor services it seems that they are working but nothing happens.

R.

Dan 

Message 6 of 16

This is happening on both my computers, one is Dell T3500 and the other is laptop Dell M6300.

Dan

Message 7 of 16

Just to get more clarification:

When you open the .fem saved file, you are able to change value and launch the simualtion and get results without problem ?

Message 8 of 16

When i open it for the first time yes.

after I gert the results I go back to the fea editor chsnge the flux and thats it...its going to freeze....

it happens in all kind of analysis, this is not file related.

Dan

Message 9 of 16
John_Holtz

Hi Dan,

Instead of asking for "a little more information", I should have asked for a lot of specific information. Sorry that I was not clearer in my instructions. But here is my understanding. Let us know if these steps are correct, or if you are doing something else.

1. (In general) The analysis completes, you review the results, and then click the FEA Editor tab.
  2. (Specifically) Under the "FEA Object Groups" in the browser, you select either "5 <Nodal Heat Sources>" or "6 <Nodal Heat Sources>" or both, right-click, and choose Modify.
  3. (Specifically) The heat source dialog appears, and you change the values.
  4. (Specifically) You click the "OK" button to save your changes. Is this where it hangs?

If it does hang at step 4, then "AnalysisServer.exe *32" shown in your Task Manager should not be running! The AnalysisServer is the dialog that appears in the attached image. If it hangs at this step, then either you are not closing the analysis window when the analysis completes, or the software is not closing the window. The next time the program hangs, use the task manager to "End Process" on AnalysisServer.exe.

If it does not hang at step 4, then the next thing you do is:

5. Choose "Analysis > Perform Analysis". Is this where it hangs?

If it does hang at step 5,

• how many nodal heat sources are being modified? (You can expand the "5 <Nodal Heat Sources>" or "6 <Nodal Heat Sources>" branches and see what the first and last nodal heat source number is.
  • If you use the Task Manager to "End Process" on AnalysisServer.exe, what happens? Can you run the analysis again?
  • Is the checkbox checked or unchecked under "Tools > Options > Analysis > Automate Analysis?

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 10 of 16
Dan_Margulius
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hello John,

1. Correct

2. Correct

3.Correct

4. Correct, I click OK the window closes the program is ok

5. Here we get the hang, if I end the process i get back to FEA editor. Picture attached after changing only the heat flux input or the nodal heat source. it does not matter wich is wich. the check box Automate Analysis is checked. sometimes if I change the flux

he decides that there is an error in the analysis and gives the following error:

BUT I ALREADY RUN IT THE FIRST TME SO WHY NOW THERE IS A PROBLEM, I ONLY CHANGED THE HEAT VALUE!

OR IT ENTERS TO NOT RESPONDING LIKE IN THE PICTURE ATTACHED.

-----------------------------------------------
forrtl: severe (9): permission to access file denied, unit 12, file C:\Users\danm\Desktop\huliot\werwer.ds_data\6\ds.t12
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source            
srun11.exe         00000001403F1C04  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
srun11.exe         00000001403ED429  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
srun11.exe         0000000140395C42  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
srun11.exe         000000014037F395  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
srun11.exe         000000014037E835  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
srun11.exe         000000014036E2C8  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
srun11.exe         0000000140093A2F  ITFILL                    227  iolib.for
srun11.exe         0000000140085D33  MODSTM                    117  modstm.for
srun11.exe         000000014008A0F4  STLSTP                   1149  stlstp2.for
srun11.exe         0000000140154BDC  TSTEP                     611  tstep.for
srun11.exe         00000001400D77D1  FMAIN                    1355  ssap11h.for
srun11.exe         0000000140095853  MAIN__                    349  halloc11.for
srun11.exe         00000001403F6118  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
srun11.exe         00000001403CF6E5  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
kernel32.dll       0000000077A7F56D  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
ntdll.dll          0000000077BB3021  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

THEN I FINALLY GIVE UP ERASE ALL DATA EXTRACT AGAIN THE FILE  I GOT FROM SHAKEEL AND START FROM THE BEGINING CHANGE THE VALUES AND EVERYTHING IS FINE, NO ERRORS SAME SETUP!

R.

DAN 

Message 11 of 16

Hy John,

I wanted to update you in this matter, after waiting for 51 minutes the analysis started.

All this time it was in not responding(near death)state and then it gave results.  

I dont know why this is happening but thats the situation.

Regards,

Dan 

Message 12 of 16
xli
Alumni

It is about burning out something out of this model (a neck of the computation? my guess.).... we all feel the burning heat now:-). Dan, can your provide more infor about model and your machine? What is the model size, e.g. node numbers in this model? What is the size of RAM (the memory of your computer)?

It sounds like the model is running crazy during that 51 minutes. If you can print out computer processes status from task manager during that period it would greatly help us to identify the problem on which program. Thank you!

-xli

Message 13 of 16
Dan_Margulius
in reply to: xli

Hello xli,

The process picture is attached for your review. the model is two pipes small ones one inside another. heat flux is defined on the outer surface. Shakeel helped me to define this model and it is working but when you modify something and analyze again you can logg off and comeback an hour later to see the results. the file is too big to be attached here.

hf.JPG

Thanks,

Dan

Message 14 of 16
xli
Alumni

Dan, I see your model, the size is not as big as I have guessed. So it may not be a computation issue. I also see attached prosses, the program AnalysisServer.exe is involved. But it should not do any calculation stuffs but doing some controls on top, maybe some network or local hard disk problem? At this point, I have no idea about it but thanks for your information.

-xli

Message 15 of 16
S.LI

Hi, Dan,

I have a MES model with similar problem. AnalysisServer.exe takes lots of CPU resource. For that model, the log file is more than 200Mbyte at the running around 20%. It takes more than 1 min. to open it with notepad.exe. So my guess is analysisServer.exe spends lots of time to show the log in fly.

What's the size of your log file (ds.lgt)?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 16 of 16
Dan_Margulius
in reply to: S.LI

Hy,

ds.lgt is very small in all my scenarious,7 or 8 KB.

Thanks,

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report