Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Algor CFD on electronic enclosure

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
robinsmk
595 Views, 12 Replies

Algor CFD on electronic enclosure

Hi,

I have an electronic enclosure and I want to do a airflow model. When modelling the enclosure, I havemade internal fluid generation and deactivated all the other parts inside the encosure to do the analysis. But in the results menu how can I see the flow over the parts inside the enclosure as the parts are deactivated. Am I doing it in a wrong way? Please help.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
hupn
in reply to: robinsmk

Hi,

Are you trying to look at the internal results values? Using slices plane should help you to view the results if so. You can change the location and oritentation of the slices plane. When you created the mesh by using internal fluid generation, the non-fluid parts are not in the simulation domain and automatic wall boundary conditions generally are applied on the boundary surfaces, which means no physical meanings when just want to look at the values on those boundary interface.  

hup

Message 3 of 13
robinsmk
in reply to: hupn

Thank you for the reply.  My model have around 8 solid components inside the enclosure. So what i did was to generate the fluid internally. So a new fluid part is added. Now I did was to deactivate all the remaining components inside the enclosure and put the fluid part active for analysis. I hope I am going in the right direction.

At the results menu i made the fluid part transparent so that i can view all the components inside it ( which I deactivated). Is there a way to show these internal components so that i can show a streamline view in my presentations.

Message 4 of 13
hupn

Hi,

I think the way you created the fluid model is right. Noticing that those disabled parts are not in the fluid simulation domain, so there are not results shown inside those components. You can create slice plane to cut through those internal part and use streamline to view the fluid results flow around them though.

hup

Message 5 of 13
robinsmk

thank you. I have added the slice plain. and I can see the flow fields although I cannot physically see the solid models inside the enclosure. this will work.

another issue following this is that . I have a heat sink inside the enclosure. How can I model the flow between the fins. How do you create tht smaller mesh near to the fins. Also, the heat sink have a seperate fan section. Using the 3d internal flow generation is it possible to add a fan inside the fluid field? 

Message 6 of 13
hupn

Hi,

I not quite sure about your second issue. If the heat sink has no effect to fluid flow, then you can just ignore it for fluid flow analysis. When you do heat transfer analysis, you can use the fluid flow results to performance a one-directional analysis (fluid to thermal). If the heat sink do have effect to the fluid flow, you may need a two-directional coupling analysis.

To create finer mesh around the fin, one way is to specify some refinement points for the fin surface by either (1) specify the coordinates of those points or (2) pick the mesh points on the fine surface if you already have a mesh. Fan surface is only available for the surfaces between parts or boundary surfaces. Therefore, it is really depends on the model whether you can create one or not.  

hup

Message 7 of 13
robinsmk

Thank you for the replies. I was trying to model it but still have problems. Attached is the model file. Please take a look into it. Am attaching the file 

Message 8 of 13
hupn

Hi,

I do not have Solidworks installed here, so I could not open your CAD model. Can you transfer it into a .sat or .stp file? And please give more detail information about the issue that you experienced so we could look into it.

hup

Message 9 of 13
robinsmk

this is an electronic envlosure. It have a fan surface blowing air into it( the bigger hole). Then exits at the other end ( the small holes). I created the internal flow. But I cannot see the internal components. Attached is the file.

Message 10 of 13
robinsmk

Also, Why i cannot create flow inside this box?

Message 11 of 13
hupn

Hi,

I looked at and tried with your models. It turns out that it is a limitation that internal fluid part generation works only for the cases without having floating parts inside. Therefore, you will have to create the fluid part in the CAD software that you use. I will suggest that you try a two steps in your cad tool (1) create an internal part from your outside box (2) using the part created from step 1, and extrude those floating inside parts. 

hup

Message 12 of 13
M.Peppel

Hi all,

I guess this is what you need to start over. You might want to have a look at this little video here, it offers a good explaination about the meshing for this kind of analysis.

cheers

Matthias 

Nihil Ex Nihilo
Message 13 of 13
TNTekchick

If your looking for some assistance in this matter. Try www.ddbunlimited.com

They have a variety of options and accessories for outdoor and indoor electronic enclosures. Including fans, heaters, racks and so much more.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report