Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASME code evaluation of combined membrane and bending stresses

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
denniskohl9107
2028 Views, 7 Replies

ASME code evaluation of combined membrane and bending stresses

Has anyone had any experience with applying Algor to the ASME code where it allows the total of the membrane plus bending stress to be a value of 3 times the normal allowable stress in areas of discontinuity?  My main question is how can the bending stress be calculated from Algor, since it has no specific output for bending stress.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dharhay
in reply to: denniskohl9107

Have you read the descriptions of the stress tensors?  Maybe those will be of some help to you along with hand summation of other stress components.

Dave H
Message 3 of 8

None can truly be described as "bending" stress, and ASME specifically requires the evaluation of bending stress. I can't really document any Algor output stress as a bending stress. I thought maybe other people that work with code vessels had a solution for this.

Message 4 of 8
jmcternan

you can get bending directly from a plate model

Message 5 of 8

Could you explain how to get the bending stress, please?

Message 6 of 8
jmcternan

Look under results contours tab - settings, and click plate shell options.  The plate options allow you to toggle between bending and membrane stresses.  These results can be used for code analysis.  If you have a solid model you will need to use the stress linearization tool to get these results.

Message 7 of 8
Inv_kaos

With solids the linearization tool is intended for ASME BPVC comparisons. It will calculate the Membrane (Pm) and Bending (Pb) from the 6 stress tensors and excludes the peak stress component. It then outputs Pm and the maximum Pm + Pb with plots of the stress tensors. For more information on linearization please refer to ASME BPVC VIII-2 Annex 5A.

Unfortunately there is no help information on this tool. I am not sure which method it uses for linearization from ASME but I assume it is the Structural Stress Method based on Stress Integration. I also can't find information on how to orient the SCL to suit the coordinate of a SCP. I would also like to see it output the plots of the von Mises and Tresca stress. Also it doesn't give any option for selecting what stress is Pm and Pb but I assume it is von Mises based on the ASME code - I would like to see a tresca option for use with other international PV codes. Hopefully someone from Autodesk could comment on these features and add this to the enhancement requests. Cheers.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 8 of 8
noorkmohamed
in reply to: Inv_kaos

What you said is true

But I need a Peak stress at stress linearization path

How to find that?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report