Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2d plate meshing and beam preload analysis

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
noorkmohamed
435 Views, 1 Reply

2d plate meshing and beam preload analysis

Hi

I am new to inventor simulation mechanical

I need to create a beam element in a 2d plate mesh and give preload force

I tried hard to give preload but it doen't happen

The important problems I face are

1) After Creating 3D lines and corresponding Mesh lines for "Element Type=Beam" and Material =Steel AISI 4130;

I could not set Element Definition as it says "The elemnt definition screen doesn't access beacuse this part doesn't contain valid geometry

If this part contains only construction objects, either add new mesh line or create one form objects"

But Both construction line and mesh line exist alraedy

2)To apply Beam preload the tutorial states to select lines but I could not select Mesh line

3) I am unable to apply upward pressure at nodes in a 2d surface

4) I could not draw normal pressure to the ends of a 2d surface

Kindly help me to resolve

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: noorkmohamed

Hi noorkmohamed,

It may be easiest to solve your problem if you can provide an archive of your model. Please read the post "Create, Post, or Provide an Archive of your model" and follow those instructions. Other than the obvious explanation, I cannot think of what would be causing the problem that you describe in item 1).

For item 2), what can you select when you use "Selection > Select > Lines"?

For item 3), pressure cannot be applied at a node. Pressure is applied to an area, and a node has no area; it is only a point.

I am not clear about the directions of the pressure that you are trying to apply in your items 3) and 4). 2D elements and plate elements are two different types of geometry. 2D elements are a cross-section of a solid. Therefore, the loads and displacements all occur within that cross-section. In Autodesk Simulation, that cross-section lies in the YZ plane. So when a pressure is applied to a 2D mesh, it is on the edge of the mesh (the face of the solid), and the pressure vector lies in the YZ plane.

Plate elements also represent a solid, but a thin solid. The plate element is located at the center of the thickness. So a pressure applied to the plate representing a solid, the pressure is in the direction normal to the plate element. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report