Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
977 Views, 3 Replies

2d Contact

What tools are available for 2d contact simulation?  All that I can find is Contact Elements and General Contact Elements. 

Is there any way to simulate contact between shells that are in the same plane as each other as I show below?  What about with friction?  What about with sliding?Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

You should use the "nonlinear > MES" analysis type. You can then define surface-to-surface contact between the parts. Just select one surface on top part and one surface on the bottom part, right-click, and choose Surface Contact. This will create a contact pair in the "Contact (Default: ___)" branch of the browser. [Optionally, you could pick the two parts instead of the individual surfaces. This will create many more contact elements, but the software has some intelligence to use only the ones close to contact.]

Once a contact pair is created, right-click on it in the browser and choose "Settings". This is where you choose between frictionless and friction contact.

P.S. I suggest that you refine the mesh around the area of contact. Otherwise, you may end up with only 1 or 2 nodes making contact with the adjacent surface -- depending on the defaults you or the software choose. It would be better to have more nodes in contact.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

I do appreciate the time you took reply.  However, contact between parts and contact between surfaces does not seem to work for in plane shells and 2d elements in MES nonlinear.  Figure 1 is response I get when trying to set the contact between the two parts, "Automatic contact generation did not create any new contact pairs."  When I try contact for the two surfaces as in figure 2, it allows the contact pair but the contact does not work as you can see in Figure 3.

Figure 1

Clipboard02.jpg

Figure 2

Clipboard03.jpg

Figure 3

Shell Contact.gif

Message 4 of 4
zhuangs
in reply to: Anonymous

If you follow the attached figure to define the contact pair, it will work for the 2D model.  Note that for 2D modl, the contact surface should only consist of lines on the sides of the model.

-Shoubing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report