Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is the transient analysis only 10 seconds when it should be 40?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
dkusmer
353 Views, 3 Replies

why is the transient analysis only 10 seconds when it should be 40?

According to the CFD manual for transient analysis, the time step size is always in seconds. Therefore if I choose a time step size of 0.5 (seconds) and time steps to run as 80, the total amount of time should be 40 seconds, but analysis says 10 seconds (see attached png file). What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help, Dan

Dan Kusmer - user
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
kabindrabhattarai
in reply to: dkusmer

I have faced similar probelm before. Is your intelligent solution control turned on? If yes, you may have to turn it off. The software may be calculating the time step it needs with that option turned on. Hope it helps.

Message 3 of 4

That is correct

If Solution Control is enabled for transient runs the value listed on the Solve dialog will be the maximum (upper limit) for the timestep. From the solution control can adjust it smaller as needed to try and maintain stability.

Turn off solution control and we will march forward at the specified interval

Message 4 of 4
dkusmer
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

Kabindrabhattarai/Apolo,

Thank you both for your responses. I did have the intelligent solution control turned on. When I turned it off the duration time came out as predicted.

Thanks, Dan

Dan Kusmer - user

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report