I'm working with tech support to resolve an issue with the simulation queue in version 2013. They've indicated we're the only customer that has contacted support with these symptoms, but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has seen this but just not called about it. Any feedback from other users in similar setups (nope, haven't seen the issue - yes, we're seeing it to...) would be great.
I have three users running Sim CFD 2013. The model data comes from Pro/E Wildfire 4, is launched into the CFD package, conditions are applied etc and the simulation is sent to a central computer for computation. Up until v2013 this has worked flawlessly. SImulations from users simply queue in the order submitted, when one completes the next one in the queue starts, solved simulations stay in the list as finished until the user opens the file and pulls the data back - worked great. With 2013 queued simulations will randomly fail to start. It doesn't seem to matter what type if simulation is it (flow / therm...), who sends it, whether it's multiple scenarios from one design study or totally isolated simulations, files all from one user or from different users. Sometimes it works like it should, other times one simulation will finish and the next one in the stack just stays stuck as "queued" along with everything below it in the queue. Stopping the stuck simulation will usually result in the next one in the queue starting up. Other times it will magically start if the user sends another scenario from the same design study. In some cases it will then start to parallel solve several scenarios all at once.
Two of the three user PCs are Win7 64 bit, the third is 32bit win XP (soon to be replaced with Win7 64) and the solving computer is a Win7 64 bit PC. Installation of the software and software configurations are identical between all PCs. Solving PC is on a different subnet than the user's PC. This all worked fine until we went to the 2013 release.
Thanks for any feedback.
I've the same problems in a different installation: CAD is SolidEdge, one Client with XP64 and on Solver-Machine with W7 x64. All jobs come from me, from teh same client (myclient). The things I see on the queue are the same as you can see.
Until now, I've not opened a Call.
Thanks for posting a reply. Have you only seen the stuck queue issue since moving to Simulation CFD 2013?
At this point we're thinking it may be license service related. The possibility exists that at the point of queue handoff there is an error in communication when the solver tries to determine what solve license it needs and then queries the license server for the appropriate license. Whether this occured because we added the increment lines for the 2013 version to the license file, leaving the prior version package and increment lines in place is unknown. It's also possible there were problems with the server itself. We've since moved the license service to a different computer (we decomissioned the server we were using to issue Autodesk licenses for other reasons ) and started with a fresh license file from Autodesk. We haven't had the problem since, but due to a lull in simulations being run, we haven't been stacking simulations in the queue that heavily either. So, I can't consider the problem solved yet. I may have to use a canned analysis and hit the simulation queue to see if the problem is gone.
No resolution. We're still seeing the same issue on occasion. I'm in the process of updating everyone to SP1 of the 2013 release of Simulation CFD. There is no mention of this issue in the release notes, but a couple of other remote solve & HPC bugs are listed as addressed.
Just to check, are you building the simulation on one PC and sending it to another one to solve? Are you seeing both the stuck queue and the parallel solve of multiple queued simulations?
I'm building the simulations on my laptop (Alienware M17X, i7-2860QM - 8 cores total, 16GB RAM, 64 bit Windows 7), and solving on the same computer. I'm just going through the tutorial excersises as I'm new to CFD. Sometimes they solve, other times they just get stuck in the que. I've found that if I go into the folders where the simulation files are saved, delete everything except the original CAD models, then restarting the computer, I can sometimes get it to solve. What I'm saying is, sometines it woirks, somethins it doesn't, but once the first gets stuck , the rest back up behind it. When this happens, the solver manager becomes unresponsive also. Hope this helps, I'd love to have more of a play.