Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my solver closes unexpectedly

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
n.jacky
1598 Views, 14 Replies

my solver closes unexpectedly

Hello everybody,

I have a big problem since some days now. A calculation has ended on saturday afternoon and since this moment, i can't run another model. Each time i start my calculation, i have a warning message that tell me:

"The analysis has stopped because the solver has exited unexpectedly"

So, I have tried a lot of things like:

-reread the license file from LMTools

-stop, uninstall and restart the server

-delete the file the folder "Simulation CFD 2012" in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\  to reconfigure the software 

And finally I have reinstalled the software.

But nothing works....

Could you help me please?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
n.jacky
in reply to: n.jacky

for more details, when a look into :simulation\calculation computer, I find my work station but with 0 hearts.I think it's not normal....

Message 3 of 15
apolo_vanderberg

n.

The core count showing as 0 is normal. For that dialog 0 means to use as many (2^n) physical cores as you have on your machine. If you wanted to throttle the cpu use down (for example on a dual-cpu machine where you have 8 real cores, if you wanted to only run on 4, you could specify that in the menu).

As far as the solver exiting, is it for any model? or just this one?

Have you tried rebooting your machine in case there is something in the Job Manager that is interfering with the new jobs coming in?

Apolo

Message 4 of 15
herman
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

I have the same problem with several large models. Sometimes it will restart but most times I have to restart at 0. I have done several hundred smaller simulation analysis and I do not have a problem. The larges ones do seem to be prone to this problem.

I have a dedicated WS W7 Professional, 24GB ram i7 processor 3TB didicated hard disk etc. Only Auodesk design and simulation programs installed.

Anybody else with similar problems?

Message 5 of 15
n.jacky
in reply to: herman

Hi Herman,

I had this problem and even with 128Gb, it happened with a compressible analysis. But did you tried to start your analysis step by step? Is it a compressible analysis? I have fixed this issue in starting with constant gas properties and an incompressible condition for 10 iterations, then continuing 10 more with variable gas, then, X more iterations with compressible condition+gas variable.

Hope it helps

Message 6 of 15
herman

I do not have compressible gas but I do have variable gas and variable solids as this is a high temperature heat transfer simulation.

I am now running an extended W7 memory diagnostic as I am out of town for a few days. I will see tonight if there is any problem If not I will follow your advice and see if it can get to a couple of hundred iterations with no problem.

The reason I am honing in on hardware issues is because Todd at support ran the same simulation on his machine with several boundary conditions and has no problem.

Herman

Message 7 of 15
martin.lorenz

Hello, I also uses CFD for thermal simulations of large models. I recieve the problem with the closing solver constant. Today it happens again and i found an possibly intresting behavior. The PC I use has 16GB of Ram wich became used for 100% for a few seconds during the volume meshing. Then the solver closes unexpectedly.  

I hope this might be helpful solving this.

Martin

Message 8 of 15
herman
in reply to: martin.lorenz

Martin: My workstation has 24GB with i7 processor and the solver runs with all 4 processors 100% about half the time. The models I am simulating right now has 3.5 million fluid nodes and I need more for more detailed thermal data in critical zones. I cannot get there as it is almost impossible to get to a solution. Herman
Message 9 of 15
Royce_adsk

Issues like this are typically best handled through support cases unless you are willing to share your support share file on the forums, but that is up to you and your company!

If we resolve the issue we will try to post a solution to the forum to cover issue and resolution as best as possible. If the issue started in the forum and moved into a case.

Thanks,

Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 10 of 15
romar_ro
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Hi I have the same problem, and since my study is of personal use I can send you the support files. 

I use my personal PC W7 64bit  I5 4MB for this analysis.

Message 11 of 15
eng.apps.admin

I am also having this exact same problem with a Windows Server 2008 OS.  I have i7 with 32 GB RAM.  Number of iterations until failure varies, but the failure itself is very repeatable.

As the models get larger, the number of iterations until failure is less.

What can be done?  Our users are very frustrated with this.

Message 12 of 15
jprailsb

After all types of simple models I create from or import into Fusion close unexpectedly during "solve", I have used Fusion example models as a baseline with success. Still, I have no idea what is incompatible because Fusion example models work and the same parameters with models .

Message 13 of 15
jprailsb
in reply to: jprailsb

I resolved my problem by saving files locally and not on the company server.

Message 14 of 15
scott.werner
in reply to: jprailsb

You cannot solve on mapped network drives, for example, B:\ drive mapped to \\company\server\path\folder. However, if you open the design study using the unc path, \\company\server\path\folder, you should be able to solve and get results. We have a bug logged for the mapped network drive issue. Did you try solving on a UNC path?

Scott Werner
SQA Engineer
Digital Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 15 of 15
sunnymarks

Herman, my colleague faced solver related similar behaviour for HiTech CFD simulation and analysis. However for smaller CFD simulation and analysis it works fine. Smiley Indifferent 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report