Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flow-driven motion => solver error

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cbroer
494 Views, 6 Replies

flow-driven motion => solver error

Hi there,

I try to run an analysis with flow-driven motion. The object is to rotate a body by airflow. The setup looks like this: One solid volume is surrounded by a rotating region that is surrounded again by a large fluid volume (air). The rotating region is set up as free-spinning with an inertia value. Two BC defined at the surrounding fluid: flow speed and pressure.

Actually nothing special so far. But my problem is: After meshing the solver closes unexpectedly. I tried my best with the CFD-help, but could not find the problem.

Btw: If defining the rotating region with a "known rotational speed", the analysis runs fine.

Is there any special parameter or trick?

Anyone have ideas?

Best Regards,

Chris

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: cbroer

If you are running CFD2013 try running for 0 iterations first and then run from s(0)

Message 3 of 7
cbroer
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

John,

I work with CFD2013. It's the 6th release I gain experience with since CFDesign v9.

When running 0 iterations the meshing process runs w/o problems. After that the model appears in the results window for a second or two. The then error "solver closed unexpectedly" pops up. After clicking "OK" at the popup-message, the model switches back to setup mode (pre-processing).

That is the way it runs, no matter how may iterations set.

Message 4 of 7
Jon.Wilde

There is an issue but it should work OK if you run for 0 iterations first, then continue from t(0).

I just tested it here and it's OK, this was after replicating your issue if running a number of iterations from 0 (it worked with a known rpm also as you say).

Can I confirm that you definitely ran this from 0 for 0 iterations? There should be no error if you do.

Also, what fluid are you using, just air_fixed?

Thanks

Jon

Message 5 of 7
cbroer

Jon,

The model runs now from 0 for 0 iternations. But, tryin to solve any further iteration results in the described solver error.

I added a support file of my model. Maybe you could take a quick look.

Thanks

Chris

Message 6 of 7
Jon.Wilde

You are a paid up subscription customer of ours yes? Just thinking we could move this to a case.

Message 7 of 7
Jon.Wilde

Also, I notice that this is compressible. You need to change the inlet conditions. A velocity is unsuitable, try a mass flow rate (this will not change throughout the domain). Also, set a pressure and temp. Is your Total Temperature in the Solve box definitely correct? Take a look at Total T in the help guide.

Also, the domain will likely need to be larger.

I suggest you test with an incompressible analysis first

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report