Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

distributed resistance

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1143 Views, 7 Replies

distributed resistance

Dear Autodesk Simulation CFD experts,

I would like to model a thin plate with a bank of holes.  The thickness of the plate is 2 mm.  The diamter of the holes is 1.5 mm.  The distance between each 2 hole center is 4.8 mm.  It looks like I can use the K-Factor method.  But, how can I find out the K value?  Or is there any other method in CFD 2014 that will be more suited for this?

Thanks!

Pei-Ying

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
apolo_vanderberg
in reply to: Anonymous

To start you might look at the geometry and compute the Free Area Ratio

You could use this as input to the resistance model.

If you want to compute to a K the equation that would be used is

K = ( [0.707(1-FAR)^0.375 + 1 - FAR]^2 ) / FAR^2

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Hi, Apolo,

Thanks again for the reply!

So, for a 5X5 holes:

Total area = 24mm X 24 mm = 576 mm^2

Free Area = pi x (1.5 mm)^2 x 25 /4 = 44.18 mm^2

==> FAR = 44.18/576 = 0.0767

Correct?

However, based on the wikihelp docuement,

-----------------------------------

The relationship between loss coefficient, K, and free area ratio, FAR, is given as:

NoteThis equation is valid for flow with Reynolds number greater than 105. The ratio of the flat portion of the hole length, l, to hydraulic diameter, Dh, is between 0 and 0.015:

-------------------------------------
Dh = 1.5 mm, plate thickness = 2mm, hence, I/Dh = 2/1.5 = 1.33.  Does this relationship still applies?  In addition, the note mentioned that this relation is valid for Re > 10e5 (or 105?).  I believe that in my case, Re is < 10e5.

Pei-Ying
Message 4 of 8
OmkarJ

pei-ying

You are right, the formula Apolo mentioned is for very thin sheets (t/d<0.015). Yours is a thick sheet and hence the formula will be different, 

You can get the constant k-factor by two methods:

1) Use Idelchik's handbook of hydraulic resistance to find the k-factor for your perforated sheet

2) Create a small unitary cell that is symmetrical, and simulate it for velocities, close to your operating velocities, and then calculate the value of k as : k=DP/ (0.5*rho*v^2)

where DP is pressure drop, rho is density of fluid and v is velocity.

OJ

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: OmkarJ

Hi, OJ,

Thanks a lot!

I am in the process of getting the handbook.  In the meantime, I will try to do what you suggested in option 2.

Pei-Ying

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hello Pei-Ying,

It was informative to read your post. As the post is quite old, could you please share your experience with simulating perforated sheets using Sim CFD because I am also working with a similar application and it seems that using the FAR condition isn't sufficient.

Sanket

Message 7 of 8
Jon.Wilde

Hey Sanket,

(Yup, I am everywhere Smiley Happy)

If you run into other issues, please shout, we can help.

CFD will convert everything to a constant loss coefficient for the calculation, but FAR should be OK as long as you are smart with it.

Thanks,

Jon

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hello Jon,

Thanks for your reply. I was only wondering if Pei-Ying tried the 2 suggestions given by Omkar and how did they influence his results...

Sanket

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report