Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disply velocity vector inside the flow domain?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
pei-ying.hsieh
559 Views, 7 Replies

disply velocity vector inside the flow domain?

Dear CFD experts,

Is there a way to display global vector inside the flow domain, instead of just on the surfaces?

I would like to display the velocity vector inside the "whole" flow domain.  I found that global vector only display on the fluid surfaces and using the plane is somehow limiting and not seeing the whole picture.  Any suggestion?

Is there a way to export the results to either tecplot or paraview?

Thanks!

Pei-Ying

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: pei-ying.hsieh

Hi,

Aside from using cut-planes the other option would be to use an ISO surface. Switch it from Shaded to Outline and show vectors on it. You can change the velocity value you are viewing, which may also help to visualise the flow.

Message 3 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

But, If I use iso surface, then, the vector is still only displayed on the iso surfaces, correct?  So, it is not really what I am looking for.

Maybe I should submit a feature request for this.

Best Regards,

Pei-Ying

Message 4 of 8
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: pei-ying.hsieh

Yes, this is correct, although you can also use multiple ISO surfaces.

I have thought about this myself before and find ISO surfaces an perfectly convey what is occurring - I am not clear if the observer might be overwhelmed with details if we show the vectors everywhere at once?

Feel free to log a request but if you could show some examples also that would be really useful.

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 5 of 8
JohnTomasik6493
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

I have no clue how I did this (thought I was altering vector sizes on a plane), but vectors appear on what looks like a 3D part (it's a condenser).  I'm trying to figure out how I did this, so I can do it again.  It's definitely something my clients would prefer, as I would too.  Vector display on planes only provide only a portion of the flow, and are cumbersome to move around and try to understand the entire situation.

Message 6 of 8

Hi, John,

From the picture you attached, it looks like you plotted velocity vectors on 2 planes.  Are you sure that this is velocity vector on 3D space?

Pei-Ying

Message 7 of 8

Positive.  I removed all planes, and the vectors still appeared on the condenser part.  In fact, I couldn't figure out how to turn them off.  I attached a pic.  Dang...I need to know how I did this!  LOL  Or, am I not looking at what I think I am?

Message 8 of 8
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: JohnTomasik6493

Those look like global vectors, right click off of the model to bring up the menu where you'll find them

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report