Discussion Groups

Simulation CFD

Contributor
DelNegro

Re: Unsimetric analysis in a symetric part?

09-20-2013 06:40 AM in reply to: wildej
OK. I will give that a try. Just so you know, we set our filter up as a FAR reseistance as well. Even though you can set the flow in a FAR resistance to only be in the K-direction, there is a natural disipation in the non-K directions that occurs in the resistance model that does not provide correct results for us. This is why we section it. i.e. if I provide flow to only half of my filter at the inlet, I will still see flow exiting the entire filter at the other end. This is not the case for our filters (think of the straws).
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DelNegro

09-20-2013 11:46 AM in reply to: DelNegro

I tried loading a sketch and got an error that the Granite kernel could not launch 2D geometry and to try the Mechanica launch method.  When I do this, it actually doesn't launch at all.  Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DelNegro

09-23-2013 07:37 AM in reply to: DelNegro
Could you possibly direct me to the section in the manual that explains 2D analysis?
Please use plain text.
Product Support
apolo.vanderberg

09-24-2013 06:39 AM in reply to: DelNegro

Tony,

I agree here with Jon. Knowing some of the geometry you've dealt with in the past, you might be able to look at portions from a 2D axisymmetric aspect. However if you were going to run in 3D (quarter/half symmetry, or full model) I would also suggest refining the mesh in the cone as you can see that teh flow field is following the coarser elements and as you refine you'll start to see tht the results become more symmetric.
I would also encourage you to run ADV5 (in 2014/2013) or ADV2 (otherwise) as it will help with the results in applications like this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DelNegro

09-24-2013 06:48 AM in reply to: apolo.vanderberg
Apolo,

Thanx for the reply. I am unfamiliar with ADV5 or ADV2. Can you
elaborate? Also, I am still on CFDesign 2010...
Please use plain text.
Product Support
apolo.vanderberg

09-24-2013 07:08 AM in reply to: wildej
ADV5/2 refer to advection schemes (found under the Solve dialog - Solution Control - Advection)
In 2010 we only had ADV2, which would be a good start for this model. If you were to update to 2013+ you would have the option of ADV5 which is a newer/improved version of ADV2
Please use plain text.