Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to save a moinitor point time history

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
l.mahmoudi
462 Views, 6 Replies

Unable to save a moinitor point time history

I defined a monitor point for a transient simulation. I went to the convergence plot area and selected this point and variable as pressure and hit the save. However, when I open the file, it has all data for the global variables not my monitor point? how can I just save the data for my monitor point? Also, how can I change my monitor point units?

Thanks

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

To save a monitor point you must select it

If it is set to "Global" you will save Global convergence monitor

If it is set to your Monitor point, it will save the point data

Units are always saved in base units (base units are defined my the model units. in/btu means velocities are in/s and pressure is psi, if mm then mm/s and Pa) being that this is in a csv it would be an easy excel conversion to any preferred unit

Message 3 of 7

Appolo,

Thanks for the responses.

That's exactly what I did but it didn't work. I changed the variable to my monitor point but disregarding of this selection, it always saves the data for just global variables?! I've attached the file that I got. I wanted just the pressure data but I got everything which is for global data.

Message 4 of 7
OmkarJ
in reply to: l.mahmoudi

When you select Global, the global average values of all the quantities are shown in the monitor plots. When you select monitor point, the local values of all properties at the monitor points are shown at the monitor plots.  How are you sure this data is not for monitor point but global parameters? If I take a guess, from the values in your csv file, some of the initial values for most of the variables are zero, which means this data seems unlikely for the global variables but local variables at that monitor point. As solution progresses in space and time, you see the non-zero values slowly developing for all the parameters at that point. If these were global parameters, you would expect at least some non-zero values for all properties from the beginning (because BCs will have some values). Apolo can confirm this conjecture.

Regarding your question about all the variables in the csv, you can always just copy the pressure column and use it 🙂

Message 5 of 7
l.mahmoudi
in reply to: OmkarJ

Thanks, Finally somebody gave me the right answer! I checked the monitor ponit data and it's different from what I save when selecting the global data. However, Autodesk should fix this issue that when selecting a specific variable, it saves all the data instead. It's confusing and not useful. Also, it would be helpful to change the output units independent from the defined units when setting the simulation.

Message 6 of 7

Yes Global saves the global results for all nodes whereas selecting just a specific monitor point (not Global) will save the specific point's data

Message 7 of 7
OmkarJ
in reply to: l.mahmoudi

I,

If you have any suggestions for improvements in SimCFD,  you can log them on Idea Station here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Simulation-CFD-IdeaStation/idb-p/82

Community users can vote up if they resonate with your idea and the popular ideas are considered for implementation in future releases. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report