Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble loading an ipt part on SimCFD

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
425 Views, 3 Replies

Trouble loading an ipt part on SimCFD

Hi,

I'm trying to load an ipt part from inventor to simulation, using "open with simulationCFD" button;
This part is an assembly between 4-5 surfaces (i'm not the creator of that) and, while the "transfer" between the two programs works without problems, once imported on SimCFD some surfaces results inactive.. I try to explain with a screenshot:

Screenshot on 7.10.2013 at 1.43.33 PM.png

The 5 surfaces (left half, right half, back bottom, front and front bottom) are automatically divided into dozens of little surfaces, but only the red ones are recognized by SimCFD!

Also after applying "edge merging tool" and "small object removal tool" this problem remains..

Someone can help me?

An alternative possible solution may be to close all apertures and convert this assembly into a unique solid part, which always works well and it's easiest to manage.. Is there a tool for that?

Thanks for support!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Lorenzo,

First thing to know is that the Geometry tools in CFD will not help fix this. If it reads in with issues like this we need to fix them in CAD.

Have you tried reading the model into Inventor Fusion and then into CFD?

Is this imported geometry or native to Inventor?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Yes, i've tried opening the model in CFD through Fusion, but the problem remain.. The geometry isn't native to Inventor, but is imported (not by me, so I don't know which application has used the creator)..

But I also have the original files, which are *.wire.. Should i directly use those files?

Message 4 of 4
Jon.Wilde

We believe this would be Alias. The solution here really is to fix this issue in Alias itself and then launch into a CAD package that works with CFD.

Ensure that all surfaces are clean and meet at simple edges. Try bringing in 1/2 the model, if that works then try the other 1/2 and continue in this manner until the issue is identified.

Hopefully that will help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report