Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transient Natural Convection Model

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
bblom1
455 Views, 1 Reply

Transient Natural Convection Model

I am trying to carry out a transient thermal model but I am having trouble getting it to make sense and running the proper number of time steps.I am trying to conduct a transient model where I have steady state conditions at a low power and then have a transient model that uses that as an initial conditon and monitor the temperature increase to max power over a certain period of time. Unfortunately there are no initial heat generation conditions it only allows me to choose temperatures. 

My first approach was I ran my model as steady state using the low power until it converged. In the same scenario since it kept the results I switched the BCs from steady state to transient and set each component to its max power using the constant setting. I then wanted to run a 10min transient so I told it to run 600 time steps at 1 second each with 4 inner iterations. I am also incorporating raditation in my analyses and for the transient run I am disabling the intelligent solver. My transient model will only run for about 15 time steps and then say analysis completed successfully and when I hit solve again to finish the total time steps it will only run 1 more time step and then complete. I am not sure why I cannot get the transient model it initialize from a steady state model and then conduct a transient solve for a certain number of time steps.

Should I run my transient for several iterations at low power to initialize and then switch to high power for the rest of my analysis time? This just seems it will take a lot of computing time and a lot of memory.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: bblom1

Hi,

Is the Output Bar reporting flatlines in the convergence?

If so, perhaps there is something not quite right with the setup, is this conduction only?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report