Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summary planes: Outlets sharing same plane

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Cnoj
673 Views, 3 Replies

Summary planes: Outlets sharing same plane

I have a model with two inlets and one outlet on the same plane. When I use one of the in/outlets' boundary condition as a summary plane, the plane seems to measure all three outlets.

Is this to be excpected and what's the easiest way to get three separate flow measurements?

Thanks,

Jon.

1.gif

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mike.h
in reply to: Cnoj

Hi

I have been looking for a solution to this for a long time, as i am having the same issue. Unfortunately, I havent found a convenient way to do it yet. As it is for now, i am using the bulk data option in the results plane section. If your plane cuts the volume into multiple surfaces, it will show the result data for each region (regions can be highlighted via the dropdown menu at the top). Still not the quickest workaround...

I am thrilled for someone to post a solution to this problem.

Message 3 of 4
marco.mueller
in reply to: mike.h

Hi,

rotate the plane a bit so it cuts just one section. Should bring a small round off error but be quite usable for this.

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 4 of 4
OmkarJ
in reply to: Cnoj

I typically do it the following way:

1. In your CAD, make sure your geometry is decomposed such that it is cut at two planes creating three parts. Upper part having upper outlet and lower two parts having two inlets each. Have a look at attached geometry. This decomposition also is advantageous since it gives better control over mesh. 
  2. Once results are obtained, suppose you want to see average pressure at upper outlet. Go to Result >> Global tab and hide the lower two parts. 
  3. Now only the upper part with outlet is visible, with your created plane passing through it. If you have aligned it to outlet, you have outlet pressure.
  4. Now switch to Result>>Planes, select your plane, select "Calculate bulk-weighted average" from one of the eight options in the small floating tab that appears, enable pressure and click calculate. There is your area average pressure only for outlet (or the visible plane on the window
  5. This way, the average pressure is considered for plane that is passing through only visible portions of geometry.

You can use this trick to see pressures at indlvidual inltes, by hiding the other parts in geometry. 

Cheers

OJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report