Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions on meshing thin sheet metal parts

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jontygeethu
349 Views, 3 Replies

Suggestions on meshing thin sheet metal parts

Any suggestions or tips on keeping the mesh to managable proportions for thin sheet metal parts?

I have model with many sheet metal parts and I do not need to run the heat transfer, even if I suppress the parts from meshing..looks like the surface still needs to be meshed..now because of the thin (thickness) sheet metal surface the mesh no. becomes too high. 

Is there any difference between suppressing the parts from meshing and defining a part as a surface in the model as far as meshing is concerned? 

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Geethu

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: jontygeethu

Hi Gethu,

What final mesh count (not mesh estimate) are are you seeing and can you share the model?

Typically any issues we see with sheet metal assemblies are at the joins between parts. Do you have all of these squared off or are there zero angles where radii meet planar surfaces?

It does not really make sense that suppressing the part is causing a meshing problem, the thickness should not really have an imapact.

Do you see any regions where the mesh density is very concentrated? These would indicate areas where we have some very small geometry that is causing more mesh to be required.

Are you able to share a few images?

Thanks,

Jon

Message 3 of 4
jontygeethu
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Jon,

I was finally able to get the mesh count down. The issue was a plastic part with many filletted edges. This is increasing the mesh count.

However, I seem to be having a convergence problem. This is the condenser section of a room air conditioner. The model has one resistance part (HX) and one Internal Fan part.

I have a CFM vs in of water curve for the resistance part as well as the fan. 

The fan draws air through the sides and pushes it through the HX coil (resistances region). 

Everytime I run this model I get the error that it cannot converge.  I just have BC of zero static P at inlet surfaces (2) and outlet (1) surface. I have the fan RPM at 1100.

How can I share images? Can I only attach files of a certain extension?

Geethu

Message 4 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: jontygeethu

Hi Geethu,

Do you have a good uniform mesh on the fan and resistace? 4-5 elements from inlet to outlet.

Try using Advection Scheme 2 or 5.

Is the fan pushing more air through the system than the resistance curve is capable of accounting for?

If you still have issues after these we can look to share the file maybe. Are you able to attach the CFZ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report