Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solver has exited unexpectedly

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
klemen.zivkovic
3418 Views, 11 Replies

Solver has exited unexpectedly

I am having error telling me that:

"The analysis has stopped because the solver has exited unexpectedly"

I attached .cfz file, because I am getting: "Account Is Not Linked to an Active Subscription Contract" on technical support page.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: klemen.zivkovic

Few pointers for you:

1) Suppress all unnecessary solid parts from the mesh

2) Extend inlets and outlets 3x dia inlet, 5x dia outlet - helps with convergence and accuracy

3) All your materals are steel - you need some fluid

4) You have no outlet, assign a p=0 on the outlet surface

Message 3 of 12
klemen.zivkovic
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

OK, thanks for pointers, Comment to your point 1: there is some parts that are created by CFD -can I suppress also that ones? Comment to your point 2: Can't do - this is the model on which I wan't to do CFD. Comment to your point 3: I guest I need to define interior of duct as air (volume). Thanks again will try reparing model in few hours.... Thanks, KLemen
Message 4 of 12
Jon.Wilde

Hi KLemen,

1) You can suppress the parts that CFD creates if they are not necessary, yes. I would suppress everything that isn't a fluid unless you are looking at heat transfer through solids

2) Your choice entirely on extending the inlet (this looks important to me, the outlet looks like it would be OK) but this would be our recommendation

3) Yes, whatever your fluid medium happens to be

Message 5 of 12
klemen.zivkovic

Hi,

I just tried suggestions you gave me, and when I try to merge edges in Geometry tools, CFD crashes - it seems like bug.

Please see attached picture.

Tags (3)
Message 6 of 12
Jon.Wilde

The issue here is likely that you have a zero angle where the outlet meets the cylinder at the bottom, move this inwards a little and it should be OK.

I wouldn't have though that the geometry tools would be needed on this model though, looks pretty clean. I would just skip it and be sure to apply a better mesh than the default - which looks too coarse. 

Works fine, although I do wish you would take our advise and extend the inlet to 3x diameter, it looks rather odd as is, the flow is not properly developed before it enters the unit.

Results

Message 7 of 12
klemen.zivkovic

I still have problem - solver crashes everytime I run "Solve". I also tried with finer mesh.

Is there any additional info what disturbs solving proces?

Where is some additional info that could point me to what's wrong?

Some solver logs maybe?

Here if my CFZ file.

Can you help please?

Thank you for your effort...

Tags (3)
Message 8 of 12
Jon.Wilde

Hi, 

This will work OK but your meshing needs some work, the blue parts are suppressed ,the grey will be meshed so:

1) Suppress EVERYTHING

2) Resume just the air (currently you have done the opposite)

Try just with the auto mesh, although you will need to refine it. The inlet looks far better now. Check out the manual and the Wiki site for meshing tips regarding refining.

Message 9 of 12
klemen.zivkovic

Hi Thanks for fast reply,

finally I made progress - obviously supressing everything except air did the trick.

Thank you

Message 10 of 12
Jon.Wilde

Good to know. You should be able to mesh the other parts also, if you were interested in heat transfer. The issue you were having was that you had most of the air parts suppresed so nothing could actually happen when you hit solve.

Message 11 of 12
Engineer4Life

Hello, I am getting the same error as in the discussion I'm replying to. I have setup a simple enclosed room with two openings one for supply air and another for return. I have defined all materials for walls and inside air volume and defined the boundary conditions for the supply air of 95 deg and 500 CFM and 0 pressure for the return. I set meshing to autosize. Under Solve I set physics for heat transfer and made sure to set the gravity. Despite double and triple checking the solver fails to run. I get a "the analysis has stopped because solver had exited unexpectedly" error. I have attached the CFZ file for your review. Successfully running this simple scenario will allow me to try and run a more complex scenario for our project.

Thanks

Message 12 of 12
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Engineer4Life

This all sounds sensible - although you might want to edit the air and change it to variable rather than fixed if you looking at gravitational effects (which will be zero unless you have heat loss/gain within the domain).

Feel free to share the model, we need a  cfz file.

Cheers,

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report