Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Multiple Scenarios Simultaneously on One Computer

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
max.morse
763 Views, 4 Replies

Running Multiple Scenarios Simultaneously on One Computer

Hi All,

This is a long shot, but I was wondering if there was a way to run simulations simultaneously on one computer. The computer I have is miles ahead of anything else avaiable on the network, and has 12 cores. I know CFD runs on 2^n cores, so 4 are wasted right now, so I was wondering if there was a way to split to processing power through just one computer, since it will still be better than remote solving to another computer.

If I use the remote solver (guidelines link below), can I go into the cfdserv application and specify the same computer, but one as 4 cores and one as 8 cores?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Simulation-CFD/Setting-up-Remote-Solve-Fast-Track/td-p/321199...

I assume not, given the IP address is the same, but I figure I'd ask.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Royce_adsk
in reply to: max.morse

Hi Max,

Just as you guessed you can only run 1 job at a time on 1 computer.  I suspect if you tried to do what you suggested it would still get queued.

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 5
max.morse
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Ahh, shame, but thanks for the response. 

Message 4 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: max.morse

Well I use two combinations of cores on the cluster : 8 cores and 16 cores. Now instead of running jobs on 16 cores serially, with one at a tine, I typically run two jobs running parallely with 8 cores each.

I have seen performance improvement of 25% while going from 4 to 8 cores, with anther 25% improvement from 8 to 16 cores. If you do the math, you will realise that two jobs with 8 cores runnign parallely finish in 75% time as that of two jobs running in series with 16 cores.

Now, I am being told that even with two licences, it is not always possible to run two jobs with 8 cores on the cluster simultaneously. In my case, I can so UI often do. As a disclaimer, there may be a risk of erraticv behaviour from cluster while communicating the solution to client. But the economisation is worth the risk.

Cheers

OJ

Message 5 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: OmkarJ

Additionally, specific to your case, the two combnations can be 4 cores and 8 cores etc. Even 4 cores running parrallely might be quicker than 8 cores running in series!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report