Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating regions won't work on windows 8 in CFD 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
office
385 Views, 6 Replies

Rotating regions won't work on windows 8 in CFD 2013

We have a problems with rotating regions in CFD 2013 on Windows 8. We had tried with dirfrent advections and won't work at all. Under same setings works without any problems in CFD 2012 also on Windows 8. Is there any solutions to this problem. In side atacment you can find SimulationCFD info file about the resons for exiting solvers. Noticable is this:

Unable to inject glr
Unable to inject gls

Unable to inject glv
W10ZS/Design 1/Scenario 1 job finished at Mon May 27 13:24:44 2013 on N.......
 ### Critical: source\clt_runwidget.cpp 700
The Analysis has stopped because the Solver has exited unexpectedly

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: office

Hi,

It may be worth a look here to see what OS's are supported. Win 8 is not supported in CFD 2013, only CFD 2014. I suggest you might like to move to 2014 and try this again.

Honestly, I cannot explain why this worked in CFD 2012, Win 8 was certainly not supported then!

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 3 of 7

Agreed here - We do not support Win8 for any version other than 2014.

That said, the issue of a solver exit is one of our most generic messages, this could be a misplaced boundary condition, or even a file location (permission) issue

If you took the 2012 file to 2013 (and saved it to a known location like C:\Work) it should work. If for some reason it does not I would advise running in a supported version for Win8.

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
office
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

Ok Apolo just additional question what do you mean when you say on known location? - do you mean on the same location where original file is (because we did so) or somewhere within CFD 2013 installation folders? We had actually start simulation in CFD 2012 and then use the same file to continue running in CFD 2013 and solver exit at first next ilteration immediately. The same thing if try to run the same simulation, with same file, from the beginning in CFD 2013. We would gladly use CFD 2014 if we would had one. 

Message 5 of 7
apolo_vanderberg

The location of the file should be on your C: (local harddrive) there are times where I have seen some people use models on mapped drives and network shares, and at times the versions can act a little different with permissions.
If these were on your local system then I dont have any other specifics as to what would cause this other than the fact that we have not tested 2013 on Win8.
Message 6 of 7
office

No won't work either. Thank you for best will to assists. As much as we can see CFD 2012 works with all features in Win 8 so you can put it on the compatible software list with Win 8. 

Message 7 of 7
rsmith

I got this error as well ("Solver Exited Unexpectadely...", with "[16:34:37] ### Critical: source\clt_runwidget.cpp 688" in the log file). I fixed it in my case. I unchecked "Stream Function" in my result quantities and ran again for 0 iterations. Probelm solved.

It was solving just fine, it only "exited unexpectadely" when the the solve reached the specified stop time or when I manually stopped the solve. I had the last time step results (no saved intervals though), and critical values were calculated. I could not clone the scenario though. The strangest thing was I had been restarting and stopping the analysis every few hundered iterations with no problem. It just started happening seemingly randomly.  

I don't know why it worked, or if it is "Stream Function" specifically. Maybe it was just making a change to the requested qty's that did the trick.  

This was WIndows 7 by the way. 

Robert Smith
Solutions Engineer
M2 Technologies
http://www.m2t.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report