Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAE 2822 transonic airfoil

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
federico.bruni
1250 Views, 7 Replies

RAE 2822 transonic airfoil

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to simulate the 2D flow around a RAE 2822 transonic airfoil.

The first simulation was fine but schock wave was very weak so I decided to refine the mesh. With the second mesh, simulation gave me a strange behaviour with a "ball" of negative pressure at trailing edge.

The two simulation are cloned and the only thing I changed was the value of the mesh size around the airfoil.

Do you have any suggestion to solve this?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: federico.bruni

Hi Federico,

Could you share a little about the setup, what BC's you have assigned for instance? What turbuence model are you using also?

Also, could you share an image of the mesh as it is now?

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 3 of 8
federico.bruni
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Attached you will find the first and the second mesh.

BC are:

Velocity, static pressure and temperature at inlet

Unknow at outlet

Velocity at top and bottom of domain

Turbulence model is k-eps, flow is compressible and heat transfer is on.

Message 4 of 8
Jon.Wilde

Hi Federico,

As this is compressible I would try with a mass flow rate, and total temperature at the inlet. You should not assign both a flow rate and a temp on the same surface.

Use the scenario environment pressure to adjust the pressure if needs be. The outlet should be fine as unknown.

The mesh looks OK.

It might be worth considering the SST turbulence model but for now just try those changes and also switch to ADV5 (Solve -> Solution Controls -> Advection) and see how it runs.

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 5 of 8
federico.bruni

Thank you, I will try.

ADV scheme was already ADV5.

For mass flow rate in a 2D simulation,  I will asume that the depth in the third direction of the mesh is 1 m?

Message 6 of 8
Jon.Wilde

CFD assumes a unit thickness so it depends on the units you have assigned. If you are in mm, yes it will be 1mm thick. I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Jon

Message 7 of 8

With mass flow rate, pressure and total temperature the simulations seems going good, shock wave is still weak but I think it mesh related.

I also switched to SST.

Thank you 

Message 8 of 8
federico.bruni

Hi Jon,

refining the mesh more deeply causes instability of the solver (ADV5, SST) also with mass flow rate/total temperature BC. 

I solve this problem running an incompressible simulation for the first 1000 iteration and after swtiching to compressible. After 5000 iteration it's stable and going slowly  to convergence. 

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report