Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No pressure difference is shown in air cylinder compressed by a piston

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
hs.simanto
755 Views, 6 Replies

No pressure difference is shown in air cylinder compressed by a piston

Hi!

I tried to simulate pressure difference inside a cylinder filled with air(compressible) due to force exerted by a piston.

Pressure should change if the air is compressed according to the rule PV=k.  But there were no pressure change as well as its showing air in the piston's previous position which should be compressed.

CFZ file is upload for your better understanding about my approach.

Thanks.

Simanto
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Royce_adsk
in reply to: hs.simanto

Hi Simanto,

Some quick edits to your geometry:

This helps align your geometry on best practice for motion and setups your diameter of the piston to always cover your air as it is driven downwards.

Make these changes and upload a new support file for me to review for you.

7-11-2014 3-37-36 PM.jpg

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 7
hs.simanto
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Hi!  Royce!

Thanks for your reply.

I modified my geometry as you instructed.

After running my simulation as i approached, velocity and total pressure results are illustrated like the attached photos.

I also uploaded the CFZ file for you to review for me.

Thanks 🙂

Simanto
Message 4 of 7
Royce_adsk
in reply to: hs.simanto

Hi Simanto,

You will need to make the piston long enough to cover the fluid once the piston has gone far enough into the model. Keep in mind the mesh masking approach that motion is using to model the physics. 

Best regards,

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 5 of 7
hs.simanto
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Hi!

thanks for your review. I made the model as you instructed. I compressed the air volume inside the cylinder to half of its initail volume. Pressure should be twice of the initial pressure as the Pressure Volume relation stands for PV=constant. But my model solution isn't showing that... instead its showing pressure 1.5multiple of initial pressure.
Initial pressure.JPG

Initial pressure

final pressure.JPG

Final pressure

CFZ file is attached for your review. thanks 🙂

Simanto
Message 6 of 7

I havent looked at your sharefile yet, however typically for these this is the one situation where we need to step up the number of Inner iterations for Motion.

By default this is 10 for transient models, but set to 1 for Motion models. To do a proper compression model we need to set ~15inner iterations, this should help raise the computed pressure rise.

Message 7 of 7

Hi!  apolo. vanderberg

Thanks for your reply. I run the same simulation with increasing the number of inner iteration to 15 and now my result are satisfying 🙂
Initial Pressure
initial pressure.JPG

Final Pressure
pressure.JPG

I can visualize the pressure rising to a value which is twice the initial value as the volume of air is compressed to half of its initial volume.

Thank you very much !! 🙂 🙂

Simanto

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report