Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No. of cores

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
OmkarJ
444 Views, 4 Replies

No. of cores

I wanted to understand, how I can be sure that I am using 4 cores on my local computer. I have specified the no. of cores as "0" in "Solver Computers" so that it can pull in all the cores. But in task manager I don't even one SimCFDSolver.exe process but I see SimCFD.exe. Is this normal? Should I see 4 or at least 1 instance of it?

Thanks

Omkar

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
apolo_vanderberg
in reply to: OmkarJ

Omkar, the listing there is for the number of cores the solver will use.
If you are not solving a model; the UI (SimCFD.exe) will only use 1 core.
As you solve the model, there will be n+1 solvers, so on a 4core (physical cores, not hyper-threaded/virtual cores), you would see 5 SimCFDsolver.exe's.
And for others that might read this, currently we support any number of cores that is 2^n (i.e. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc)
Message 3 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

That is what I would have thought. But what surprises me is that currently I am running the simulation on my machine locally, but there is not a single instance of SimCFDsolver.exe, and only one instance of simCFD.exe. What can you make of this?

Also, if I send the the job to the cluster and log in to the headnode by remote desktop, I see 5 instances of the SimCFDsolver.exe. The headnode is of course 4 cores, and is connected to other three machines of the same specs  to form a cluster, thus totalling to 16 cores. I guess this is probably because the task manager on headnode will show only the information for headnode and hence shows 5 instead of 17?

Thanks

Omkar.

PS: All nos. of cores indicate  the physical ones.

Message 4 of 5
apolo_vanderberg
in reply to: OmkarJ

Omkar,
Ensure that you have "Show all processes' enabled in task manager.
By default you will only see processes initiated by your user account.
The solvers by default are started under the SYSTEM account and aren't always visible initally.

On the cluster, yes the headnode will only show the headnode's solvers and not those that are running on the other machines, for that you can log in to each of them or check in the Cluster Manager that it started with the correct number of solvers.
Message 5 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

Great stuff, didn't know this nuance of Windows!

Yes I can see the 5 processes now...

Cheers

Omkar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report