Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local mesh size for Grid Convergence Index

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
OmkarJ
1037 Views, 3 Replies

Local mesh size for Grid Convergence Index

Hello, 

I am trying to streamline the mesh independence practices using Grid Convergence Index and Richardson Extrapolation as they are considered the best in practical CFD. (Ref: Roache, P. J. "Perspective: a method for uniform reporting of grid refinement studies." TRANSACTIONS-AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS JOURNAL OF FLUIDS ENGINEERING 116 (1994): 405-405.)

Now, element sizes for the consecutive meshes should be known to get the grid refinement ratio used in the calculations in this procedure. But unfortunately, we use unstructured mesh along with the extruded mesh so it is not possible to do the manual meshing and we are relegated to the automatic method. Is it possible to get a local size of the mesh obtained by automatic method in SimCFD? 

If not, then can anyone suggest how I go about estimating this ratio based on the values of element-count of two meshes?

Thanks

Omkar

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
OmkarJ
in reply to: OmkarJ

Anyone?

Message 3 of 4
marco.mueller
in reply to: OmkarJ

try to use a refinement region with the option "equal mesh sizes". Then you can enter the mesh size value in the geometry unit.

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 4 of 4
OmkarJ
in reply to: marco.mueller

Thanks, but I found out a simple empirical formula Roache suggested to calculate the refinement ratio based on no. of elements, which is (N1/N2)^(1/D). 

where N1 and N2 being the elements of two meshes and (N1/N2) and D is the dimensionality of the problem.

Cheers

OJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report