Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing mesh - successfully

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
OmkarJ
529 Views, 7 Replies

Importing mesh - successfully

I tried to import dat mesh file earlier (that was exported using ICEM-CFD). SimCFD recognizes the format and I see the geometry, but when I try to run it, I get the message that says bad elements formed, reduce enhancement etc. But infact, mesh enhancement is not used in imported meshes!

Can someone suggest a workaround?

OJ

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Royce_adsk
in reply to: OmkarJ

Hi Omkar,

Could you see if a simple model like a pipe fails as well?  If that does could you post that to the forum?  I can test it out on my end.

Thanks,

Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 8
OmkarJ
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Royce

I have attached the dat file here http://we.tl/MXiYr7XvB6

It is a wedge for an axisymmetric simulation.

Do let me know your findings.

Thanks

OJ

Message 4 of 8
Royce_adsk

Hi OJ,

I do see the same issue that you found, but just so you know since you called it a 2D analysis.  When setting up a 2D analysis for CFD you will need to define it with only 2D elements and they must be defined on the XY plane.

I am not sure why this specific model isn't working, but to do some basic troubleshooting could you supply a 1 part model that is a simple block that is meshed?

Thanks,

Royce

Royce.Abel

Message 5 of 8
OmkarJ

Royce, 

I am familiar with 2D modelling in SimCFD. This mesh was earlier created for 2D analysis in CFX, which eventually works only with 3D geometries even for 2D simulations. Hence the wedge. It was a handy mesh available to me and was small, so posted.

I have attached a meshed cube. http://we.tl/orxnwJQXNm

Let me know how it goes in troubleshooting.

Thanks

OJ

Message 6 of 8
Royce_adsk

OJ,

There are a few section in your .dat file that could be an issue.

I am familar with seeing the GRID, CQUAD4, and CHEXA sections, but the CBAR and PSHELL I am not familar with

One thing to take into account are the element types that we support:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Simulation_CFD/enu/2014/Help/0532-User_s_G532/0698-Process698/0872-Resu...

Does ICEMCFD provide any option for when you generate this file?

-Royce

Royce.Abel

Message 7 of 8
OmkarJ

Royce, 

I do not have access to ICEM CFD currently, but I can look into the documentation and will let you know if Nastran dat afile can be generated using one of the element types you support.

I have a question, in SimCFD documentation, it is mentioned that only three types of meshes are supported, namely, dat, unv and nas. But in the link you just gave me, it shows many other types. I reckon these types are actually used to extract SimCFD results out to use as boundary conditions in FEA tool. But will the mesh in one of these format be supported for SimCFD as well? 

Regards

Omkar

Message 8 of 8
Royce_adsk

Hi OJ,

There are many more option to export to FEA vs mesh import types. I only provided that link because it is the only location in the documentation that discusses supported element types.

-Royce

Royce.Abel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report