Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Thermal Model Data

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
WL_DanCook
262 Views, 0 Replies

Import Thermal Model Data

I am simulating cooling the internals of an AC induction motor and have a few detailed questions:

- The motor has 72 identical coils but the inlet/outlet flow gemoetries are not axi-symetric so I often need to model an entire motor.  The flow is forced incompressible (external fan).  The coils are typically copper but are insulated over the entire surface with a thin layer fiber tape and coated in a resin.  I would like to be able to model the lower thermal conductivity of this insulating material without creating a 'shell' of material around the entire surface of the individual coils (which would result in a crazy mesh due to its thinness relative to the rest of the geometry).  I have seen that there are surface boundary conditions for solids but due to the complex shape of the coil, each coil may have 50+ surfaces (which means >350 surface boundary conditions total); is there an easier way to do this?

- The lamination steel in a motor generates heat non-uniformly (much more at the teeth and on the ID than in the back-iron).  If I had a thermal data matrix (x,y,z,q) for specific heat production with the corresponding 3-spacial coordinates, could I import this data into a solid as a boundary condition?  I am imagining perhaps a giant .csv where CFDesign could look-up/interpolate at each node or I could perhaps develop a multi-variate function and enter that for thermal output.

Any guidance is helpful.

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report