Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the AVERAGE Velocity m/s for a region at a particular plane ht

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
DPAautodeskuser
2829 Views, 4 Replies

How to get the AVERAGE Velocity m/s for a region at a particular plane ht

Hi ,

I understand you have wiki help. We have looked through it. I am look for specifically how to caluclate the

-- The AVERAGE AREA WEIGHTED WIND velocity for a plan (example particular room, at a particular plane height of 1.2m)

--Does this means we will have to model the geometry by region ?

--We also noticed that we get the Velocity m/s in x,y,z i.e. Vx Vy Vz. However we need an AVERAGE  WIND VELOCITY so what way can we get this from the CFD simulated result?

--Do we need to use PYTHOn scripts to achieve this ?

the issues we face now are that Bulk calculation doesn't specify the region we want and xy plot calculates only 2 random chosen points in a plane and not the entire regional plane average velocity.And both of the above give results in Vx Vy & Vz as opposed to Velocity average m/s

This is specific for Code compliance.

Please help us find the result with easy step by step guidance as opposed to a generic wiki help link.

Please email me at SurakshaBhatla@dpa.com.sg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: DPAautodeskuser

1. Create a plane where you want to find the area average velocity
  2. Right click on the plane and select it as a summary plane
  3. Go to Results >> Decision center, the summary plane will be mentioned under critical values at the left. Right click and update
  4. In the output pane at the bottom, choose velocity magnitude and ther you have an average wind velocity

OJ

Message 3 of 5

Check out the save to grid option associated with planes. That might be want you are looking for. If you only want a section of a larger model to be part of the calculation you will need to break up your air domain into separate components so you can hide the unneeded volumes while you either take you bulk properties or use the save to grid option.

The comment about velocity average and Vx, Vy, Vz isn't very significant. Take the velocity magnitudes of the components to get a single value.

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 4 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: DPAautodeskuser
Message 5 of 5
hasanifte
in reply to: OmkarJ

Hello,

I have a similar problem. I would like to get the AVERAGE Velocity m/s for a particular region at a particular plane

I have two parallel plates lying vertically at some distance with 200 mm gap. Flow comes and passes through these parallel plates. I would like to know the average velocity in between the plates. ie from top to bottom what is the average velocity?.

Is there any way I can find average velocity in CFD post.

Thank you for your comments.

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report