Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helical Screw Pump

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
orchidhoanglan
821 Views, 10 Replies

Helical Screw Pump

I've been trying to produce a simulation of a non-horizontal helical screw pump, I am under the impression that, even with the HOF function, CFD will not be able to produce an acurate model since it can't model fluid surfaces but I would still like to see it through. 
Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to solve. Initially there were some meshing errors related to the thickness of the blades in relation ot the overall scale of the model which I believe I've addressed but I still can't get this to work. 

To simplyify it, I modelled it as screw in a straight tube with feeds in-line with the axis of rotation (in practice it would be fed from the side) It is a 4 bladed screw 1m long and 300mm across with a pitch designed for 45 deg. All this wrapped in a tube. 

I've would attach the .cfz but it's apparently too large if anyone can help it would be much apprecated.

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: orchidhoanglan

Happy to open a Dropbox folder to look into this if you are happy to do so. I will send over a link.

I see that you are not on support with us but I will take a look and see if I can provide a few pointers.

Message 3 of 11
DOCKER
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Any suggestion regarding run CFD for a spur gear pump. I have created 3D models fro fluid volume (including solid gear space) and gears? I need instruction about run setup

Message 4 of 11
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: DOCKER

I suggest you apply motion to each part (not a rotating region since they cannot overlap)

Boundary Conditions at inlet and outlet.

Fine, uniform mesh on moving parts and the fluid they move within.

Small timestep - obviously a transient run

Have you looked in our Wiki at all? I think there is a pump setup there which may help, minus the rotating region

Message 5 of 11
DOCKER

I am still have problem to run the gear pump CFD per your instruction. I tried to create a web support case. However, I am still waiting for subscription contract number from IT. By any chance you can find the number for me so I can create the support case and load the support file?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Message 6 of 11
Jon.Wilde

Hi Jeffrey,

What issues are you running in to now?

I can take a look to find a number sure. What is your product serial number? You should be able to find this under 'About'.

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 7 of 11
DOCKER

Could you send me a private email address so I can you the SN?

Message 8 of 11
DOCKER

It says

the analysis has been stopped because the Solver has exited unexpectedly.

Message 9 of 11
Jon.Wilde

Hi Docker,

Please could you PM me?

If you look in the summay file it might give you some suggestions. I would try running this without free surface initially, start simple and then work up!

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 10 of 11
DOCKER

Jon,

I haven't talk to you for at least two years! Good to see you here. I don't know how to do teh PM on this forum. Could you send me your work email to jxdong@triumphgroup.com?

TThanks,

Jeffrey

Message 11 of 11
Jon.Wilde

Hi Jeffrey,

You simply need to click my name and then 'send private message'. I will email you anyway though.

Did we work together before?

Best regards,

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report