Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heating water in a tank

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mkelly82
504 Views, 1 Reply

Heating water in a tank

Hello, 

I am trying to simulate water heating within a tank, such as water in a hot water cylinder or water in a kettle.  I wanted to start with a 2D simulation to reduce the complexity.  I have the tank as a surface which is defined as water, with temperature varying properties and an initial temperature of 15DegC.  There is a heating element within the tank  which generates the heat.  I know the dimensions of the element, but as a first approximation I wanted to model it as simply as possible.  I also know the total power input generated by the element in W, but not its surface temperature.  I have tried several methods.  At first I defined a total heating flux through the edges of a rectangle representing the element.  I also defined it as a surface and gave it a total heat generation.  In all cases the temperatures achieved in the water are much higher than expected.  I am very new to CFDesign and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  From the simulation I want to be able to see how the tank heats up and natural convection currents within the volume.  At the moment I  don't believe the results I am seeing.  Any advice how to better tackle the problem, or any comment on what I might be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mdw9965
in reply to: mkelly82

Do you have a bc for heat loss to the environment? You might need a volume of air outside the container with small inlet velocity and an exit to include natural convection.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report