Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heat exchangers

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
thicketp
269 Views, 1 Reply

Heat exchangers

Hey guys,

I asked a similar question a while back, but at the time, the simplest solution was simply to put a material in place with a resistance property and a negative power to simulate it pulling x W from the airflow passing through it.

I am wondering if in the latest version there is any way of more accurately modelling this effect of introducing a heat exchanger into a flow of air. Very similar to a car radiator, but what I am concerned with is the resultant air temp/cfm/pressure, not the return fluid in the heat exchanger. I have some really good specs for W removed from the airflow per degree C delta between the fluid and the airflow. So I would really like to be able to dynamically represent this. At the same time I need to simulate an resistance to the flow, and maybe, if you guys see it as important, the appropriate surface area (due to the depth of the heat exchanger, not the height and width).

Bit of a rambling post, I apologise, but any thoughts would be welcome. I have read through the wiki page about heat exchangers and I really don't see a good fit for something like this.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
apolo_vanderberg
in reply to: thicketp

The best method here would still be the path you are referring to.

If you have more detailed information as to the Wattage removed as a function of the flow through the heat exchanger what I would recommend is taking a 2 step approach.

Run the flow solution first with a resistance to represent the pressure loss of the radiator (K, FAR, or Head Capacity Curve if you have it).

Once you've run the flow you can then look at the Summary File to see the operating flow and pressure drop of the resistance. This should allow you to get a more specific wattage to assign to the resistance and then run thermal only at that point to introduce the thermal effects.

The Heat Exchangers are targeted more for closed loops.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report