Discussion Groups

Simulation CFD

ghalebsater

Heat exchanger (helical)

213 Views, 5 Replies
04-26-2013 06:25 AM

Hello Colleagues, 

I am trying to simulate  a helical heat exchanger, simulation is working fine however when I compare my SIM CFD results to theory/empirical solution I found it way off (so model not validated).

I am interested in a transient solution so I have tried to make the time step smaller and mesh size as well and still solution was still off. I rechecked my theoratical solution which was based on an example from a book there was nothing wrong and the only modification I made to simplify the CFD work is: I reduced the mass flow rate of both fluid in the shell and the helical tube and I played with the desired output and input temperautres to make heat exchanger compact so it wont take as much time to solve.

In autodesk CFD SIM: As i said it is a transient problem although I have tried steady state and solution was aslo different from both theory and the transient results. I advection 5 and solution controls where kept at default, turbulence default (K-epsilon),  timestep size 0.05 and I also tried 0.1, mesh size: I had 1 million, 2 million, and 4 million elment cases. 

I would appreciate any suggestions and or any resources you think could be helpful to solve my problem.

Note that I have 

Thank you, 

Ghaleb 

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Royce_adsk

Re: Heat exchanger (helical)

04-26-2013 08:44 AM in reply to: ghalebsater

What type of fluid do you have going through the HX?

How much error did you have with your steady state solution?  I would not go to the transient setup until you have a good steady state solution.

-Royce

Royce Abel
Please use plain text.
ghalebsater

04-26-2013 09:26 AM in reply to: Royce_adsk

Hello Royce, 

I am interested in the transient solution more, anyhow as per your suggestion let me share with you the steady state problem first and then if possible we go to transient. 

I have defined two liquids, A and B see properties below. The coil is made of stainless steel.  The cfz file for this case is too large to attach here. 

My error for steady state is: % error of temperature of fluid A exiting coil = 41% and % error of temperature of fluid B exiting shell is around 76%.

CFD results: Steady: coil ( Tout: 70 degree C) and shell (Tout: 44 degree C).

Theory results: coil ( Tout: 120 degree C) and shell (Tout: 25 degree C).

In shell 

Liquid B properties:

density: 935 kg/m^3 

Mass flow rate: 0.138 kg/sec

Viscosity: 0.0016 Pa-s

Specific heat: 4183.995 J/Kg-k

Thermal Conductivity:0.4739225 W/m.k

Tin=  5 degree C 

Tout = 25 degree C 

and liquid A in coil:

density: 870 kg/m^3 

Mass flow rate: 0.088 kg/sec

Viscosity: 0.000525 Pa-s

Specific heat: 4183.995 J/Kg-k

Thermal Conductivity:0.4812 W/m.k

Tin=  140 degree C 

Tout = 120 degree C 

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Royce_adsk

04-28-2013 08:06 AM in reply to: ghalebsater
Do you have access to 2014? It might be that you need the SST turb model to accurately capture the heat transfer more accurately.

Royce Abel
Please use plain text.
ghalebsater

04-28-2013 08:55 AM in reply to: Royce_adsk

Unfortunately I don't have access to 2014 issue.

Please use plain text.
ghalebsater

04-29-2013 12:39 PM in reply to: Royce_adsk

I am going to try to run different simualtions using the given turbulent model in 2013 version. This version should be able to simulate this problem with a much lower error from what I am seeing now.

I would appreciate if you have any other suggestions that I could try as well. 

Please use plain text.