Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPC cluster question

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jvbrad
1629 Views, 4 Replies

HPC cluster question

Hi all

I've been asked to look into the possibility of setting up a small cluster using Windows HPC Server 2008R2, and running Autodesk Simulation CFD on it.

Apologies for the simple question (I'm from the IT side, not the engineering side!) - please could someone explain how an end-user would interact with such a system. Can they have the GUI of Simulation CFD on their workstation, and submit jobs to the cluster without having to log in to the head node itself? Or does a user have to remote-desktop (or physically) log in to the headnode and run Simulation CFD from there?

Many thanks,

James.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
derrek.cooper
in reply to: jvbrad

Hi James.. Most users setup and review their models on a laptop/workstation and "submit" the computation to a cluster. Alternatively, you could remote desktop if you wish, but graphics performance will not be great. So, the preferred is to set it up as it was intended via a client-server relationship. Here are some instructions on how to set it up

http://www.cfdesign.com/Support/CustomerPortal/AnswerSystem/KnowledgeBase.aspx?solutionid=5013000000...

Derrek Cooper
Director, Inventor Products
Message 3 of 5
jvbrad
in reply to: derrek.cooper

Hi Derrek

Thanks for your reply, and for that document - it's extremely useful.

If I may, I do have a follow-up question. In the case of submitting a model for computation on a remote resource (eg: a cluster), what are the licensing implications? Do both the cluster and the engineer's workstation need separate licenses, even though the engineer's workstation will not actually be running CFdcalc? Again, sorry for the simplistic questions! 

Thanks again,

James.

Message 4 of 5
derrek.cooper
in reply to: jvbrad

good question.. CFD 2012, it is all one license. In previous releases, an "HPC module" was required

Derrek Cooper
Director, Inventor Products
Message 5 of 5
jvbrad
in reply to: derrek.cooper

Thanks Derrek.

That's interesting about the HPC module - the "Simulation CFD Brochure" on the website still says that the HPC module is required. Either way, many thanks for your help.

James.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report