Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow paths / particle traces

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
samwicks
1185 Views, 2 Replies

Flow paths / particle traces

Is there a way of producing particle traces with the surface as the start point? Whenever I select the surface, it shows the history of particles before they reach it, not afterwards.

Am I doing it wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Royce_adsk
in reply to: samwicks

Excellent Question!

When working with particles traces there are basically two different types.  Traces that have mass and traces that don't.

When you are using massless traces (which is the type you are using now), this is actually defining where you want the trace to go through at the plane where you placed your seed points.  So, as you noticed the trace will still start from the inlet and work towards the outlet, but it will go through the seed points that you positioned on your plane.

If you wanted to model the traces starting at the location of your seed points, try turning on massed particles traces.  When defining your massed particles make sure that it has a density that is the same as the fluid and the radius is small.  This should allow you to start the traces at your seed point and it will then progress towards the outlet.

Give that a try and let me know how it works out for you!

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 3
samwicks
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Thanks for the advice, all sorted!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report