Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distributed Resistance Loss coefficient

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Gibs740
352 Views, 3 Replies

Distributed Resistance Loss coefficient

Hi,

I'm having problems deriving the constant K-loss coefficient for a protective vent specified by a flow of 16 l/min and dp = 12mbar.(PolyVent XL / M32x1.5)

Help pages indicate I need velocity and dP. Do I need to calculate the velocity using the vent size and what units should be used to arrive at dimensionless K?.I'm missing some theoretical background, I guess.

Help appreciated,

Gibz740 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
apolo_vanderberg
in reply to: Gibs740

Gibs,
The flowrate you are stating is based on a given area. If you divide out the area you will have an 'average velocity' that will be approaching/entering the vent distribution.
From there you can back out and solve for K
K = (2 * dP) / (rho * V * V )

as long as all of this is in a consistent unit system (ex. Base SI units -convert from mBar to Pa, and to m/s for velocity, kg/m3 for density) you'll end up with a unitless number
Message 3 of 4
OmkarJ

Hope you are mindful of how you measure the DP. Immediately before the vent, static pressure is being converted to dynamic pressure.   Hence if you plot pressure across a line from your domain leading through the vent, the part of line before the vent will show sudden decrease of static pressure, since it is being converted into dynamic pressure. You are supposed to take inlet pressure value as the one before this fall had started. 

Message 4 of 4
Gibs740

apolo - I did figure this out by myself (plus one more unit translation: Pa -> N/m2). You have just confirmed the procedure. Thanks.

omarK - these numbers are vent vendor-supplied. I guess they did it right. Thanks as well.

Again, thank you both. Gibs740

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report